Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice on how to determine the ratio of a steering rack I have from a 1983 donor. In discussions with various people, I have heard that if the donor was a V8, I should have the 15:1 steering. Others say it is a 20:1 because it is an 1983 Mustang. Since it is out of the car I cannot turn it to see the number of turns lock to lock. DOes anyone know of casting codes or other identifying features I can use to tell the difference?

Any input is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
16,562 Posts
Slap a vice grip on it and turn it over to find out. The rack is self limiting so the turn lock-to-lock will be the same in or out of the car. Just watch out because it could spit fluid. I tend to agree it would be 20:1 as I think '87 may have been the first year for the high rate steering in the GT's.

Cheers, Rod

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
There can be rack limiters installed, plastic clips on inner tie rod under the boots. They would affect count of turns lock to lock, but not the ratio.

If I understand my 89 shop manual, all of the V-8 Mustangs that year had the "performance suspension" which includes the faster (variable rate) power steering rack.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,665 Posts
CobraEarl did a lot of research on this issue. There are quite a few choices. He counted turns lock to lock and also measured rack travel. I think you find this thread very useful in figuring out what you have. Racks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.