Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Going to help a buddy change his side pipes this weekend. I know there isn't much to it, BUT I've never done it before. What should I know before going? Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It is faily straight forward. Just torque them evenly when you tighten them back up. Hand tight first and then tighter a little at a time using a cross pattern like when you tighten lug nuts on a wheel. Make sure to use new gaskets.

Mike

·
"Senior"
1,123 Posts
Wrap (and tape) a towel around the tip of the sidepipe to prevent hitting/scratching the body when installing/removing.
Jim

·
FFR Cobra King
761 Posts
I use a small jack with a towel on top under the outlet tip and a bubble level on top of the pipe to adjust the pipe to as close to level as possible before the final tightening of the mounting bolts up front.This is, of course, assuming you have the car on jack stands at all four corners. There will be some play up or down before you get everything snugged down. You may want to check the bolts after a few heat cycles to make sure they are still tight as well.

KC

·
ASE Tech & Shop Teacher
1,936 Posts
I taped a towel around the pipe, made a little mini-pallet, layed the pallet on my creeper, then the pipe on the pallet, slid it under the side of the car, and it worked awesome to support the pipe while allowing movement for aligning it.

Remember the jack-stands, and never get under a car without them. Cinder blocks crumble, and killed a kid in a neighboring town, while he was under his Mustang when we were kids.

This was 30 years ago, (his girlfriend still has issues)and the loss helped motivate all of us to play it safe.

Don't mean to spoil your fun, just want you be be around to enjoy life and your car. K?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome, I appreciate the VERY helpful advice.

This actually happened close to my home town a few years back, truly sad.

I was actually thinking about using some sort of "pallet" It seems like a must for alignment.

Thanks again, Cobrabilly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts