Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently fitted a panel to the frame and drilled all of the rivet holes. I then decided I wanted to change something out and made a new duplicate panel. Is there an easy way to transfer the rivet holes in the frame to the new panel. I'm nervous that I may wind up reaming the holes in the frame.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

· Junior Charter Member
291 Posts
Take your old panel and trace the holes on the new panel or measure the holes on the frame and thransfer to the new panel, the holes in the panel will oblong before the holes in the steel frame will. Good luck.

· Registered
4,738 Posts
Which panel?
Can you lay the old panel on or under the new one?
If you can, carefully align the panels and drill 1 hole on one end (through the hole in old panel) and cleco the 2 panels together, then repeat on the other end and cleco that. Then drill the remaining holes in-between.

I fabricated a new passenger F-panel (without the rad hose hole) and did this and they aligned PERFECTLY!

· Registered
1,987 Posts
Search for rivet tools. There are tools that have a split containing a piece that is inserted in the hole and a piece that guides the drill bit. The sheet is placed between the two.
Go to "The Yard Store" and type in hole finder. They sell different sizes depending on the size of the hole. They are about $10. Great tool.

· Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The panel I'm replacing is my PS floorboard. After it fitted and drilled, my wife backed the lawn mower over it. Yeah, don't ask. I'm trying to make a new panel that will line up with all of my other panels and frame which have all been fitted and drilled. PITA

· FFR 7469
551 Posts
The panel I'm replacing is my PS floorboard. After it fitted and drilled, my wife backed the lawn mower over it. Yeah, don't ask. I'm trying to make a new panel that will line up with all of my other panels and frame which have all been fitted and drilled. PITA
Man your wife mows the lawn, your a lucky man!

If it is your PS foot box, then can't you put the replacement panel in place and then mark the holes from the inside of the footbox?

· Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well this was the first and last time cutting the grass. After messing my panel up she butched the yard up. I love her, but I'll just do it myself from now on. It's not the footbox floor it's the floor/trans tunnel panel where the seat mounts. So I have to match the rivet holes in the frame, threes rear bulkhead panels and the lower firewall. I feel pretty confident about lining the panels up but I'm worried about lining up the rivet holes drilled in the tubing that makes up the transmission tunnel.

· Registered
926 Posts
Make the panel according to your measurements to fit where you need it. Once you know the panel fits just like you want it, remove it, put tape on the areas around the outside edges of where the panel sets allowing some of the tape to be overlapped by the panel when it is reinstalled (I use masking tape here as it is easier to see marks on). Reinstall the panel and secure it however you can so it won’t move. (I use tap to hold mine in place)If you have a couple of holes that you can get to easily, (you may need extra hands here) drill a couple of holes and secure with screws. Transfer any holes you can (marking through the existing holes) once the panel is in place. You can now make a line on the tape that carries over to the new panel. Try to use a straight edge for this and a line long enough to follow later. If you can make this line carry all the way across to the other end of the panel and frame, that is best. Place a mark on the tape to indicate the edge of the panel as well. Remove the panel, I use a thin clear piece of plastic here I get from a local hobby store, align the plastic at one edge of a panel line you made before, secure the plastic in place, and mark the holes accordingly along with the alignment line you made. Now you can drill these holes out, test the fit and use this as a transfer to the new panel. I know the explanation is a bit long, but it really isn’t that hard or time consuming to do. Don’t worry about being a quarter of a hole off in any direction, the rivet head should cover it and still hold like it should.
That is how I’ve had to do a couple of mine due to changes I made after the fact.
Good luck.

· Junior Charter Member
2,071 Posts
Replacement panel

daltmcintyre:

You have two choices, make the new panel EXACTLY match the frame drilled holes or make the new panel have holes in different places that are between the old holes in the frame.

To match the new panel to the holes in the frame, make an exact pattern from thin clear, stiff plastic or tracing paper from the new panel. Place the template on the frame and drill a few holes to match the frame and Cleco the plastic on the frame and then drill the rest of the holes looking through the plastic to get the spacing and location, then transfer that to the new panel. This will never allow you to perfectly line up the frame holes with the new panel, but it will be close and I would use the type of rivet that fills the holes better than the FFR supplied cheapies. These are much better at filling oversize or slightly out of round holes. Since the panel will have the offset hole, the head will cover the boo boo.

Multi Grip Blind Rivets : Rivnut : Hanson Rivet & Supply Co. Inc.

Or, roughly determine where the old rivet holes are and drill the new panel holes between the old frame holes and when you install the panel use RTV on the frame members which will seal the old holes. Just offset each hole 1/4 inch or so and no one will be the wiser.

Don't discourage your wife from mowing the lawn, but don't put your panels on the ground. Please PM me and tell me how you get your wife to mow the lawn in the first place. Just kidding! Good luck

Ron

Ron

· Registered
269 Posts
Well this was the first and last time cutting the grass. After messing my panel up she butched the yard up. I love her, but I'll just do it myself from now on...

Haha, I think they do this on purpose so it's "our decision" they don't get to cut the grass any more. My wife had a similar expereince, but with a hay bale and twine getting cought in the blades and making a tangled mess. Ever since then, she (love you babe) has been able to get out of any lawn care...

· Junior Charter Member
1,637 Posts
Here is what you are looking for. Hole finders, I have used them during my 40 year Helicopter maintenance career and during this build.
HTH
Tim
Hole Finders (Strap Duplicators)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.