Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, copying this over here in Roadsters since it is probably the same. I am trying to buy all of the rivets and rivet nuts for my GTM kit. I am not sure of what length they need to be. All the inventory sheet says is short and long. Grainger has like 5 differnt lengths. Also, there are different 1/4-20 rivnut hole sizes. Which ones do I need? Thanks!

RIVETS, 1/8", SHORT EA 1000
RIVETS, 1/8", LONG EA 100
RIVETS, 3/16”, SHORT EA 20
RIVETS, 3/16", LONG EA 100
1/4"-20 RIVNUT (EXTRA) EA 50

Bob

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Can't answer your rivnut question, but for rivets personally I'm a big fan of the Ultimate rivets from Summit. They're pretty reasonably priced and the quality is excellent.

http://www.summitracing.com/search?keyword=ultimate rivet&dds=1

You only need to worry about 1/8 and 3/16 sizes. They have a wide grip range (0.063-0.375 in.) so don't need to worry about short and long. They are also available in a larger head (3/8 vs. 1/4) and also in several colors. I'm using the black 3/8 in heads for my MK4 Roadster build, matching my black powder coat.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,071 Posts
Rivet lengths

Bob:

For the 1/8 rivets you need most of them for the panels to frame tubes so the grip length needs to be 1/8 (.125) for the tube and .040 for the panel so the short 1/8 rivets can be the following grip lenghts. 039-.189 or 157-.315 It doesn't hurt to have them a little too long on the where the bulb is hidden inside a tube.

For the 3/6ths use the 063-.252 for short and the 252-.504 or longer for the hidden applications. The main tubes are thick so you need a longer rivet there.

I like to use what are called multigrip rivets that fill the hole better, don't curl over and seal better also. they are made so they can be used on several different thicknesses of material. They cost a little more but work much better. Use the aluminum rivet with the steel mandrel as they hold better and last longer. Make sure you use the number drills for the rivet holes. Number 30 for 1/8 and 10 or 11 for 3/16 rivets. You can buy double ended bits or buy several or a drill sharpener. These guys are good vendors for rivets, but there are others on the web.

Multi Grip Blind Rivets : Rivnut : Hanson Rivet & Supply Co. Inc.

Rivet Application and Installation - Engineers Edge

Nutserts need to be sized for the application. Add up the thicknesses and compute the grip length you need.

Ron

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So for Rivnuts I found the below. Aluminum. Looks like the right diamater. Not sure what length comes with the kit. There are 5 different to choose from.
WESTWARD Rivet Nut, Knurled, 1/4-20x0.610, Pk50 - Rivet Nuts - 5NNR7|5NNR7 - Grainger Industrial Supply

I found a rivet with a grip Range 0.063 to 0.125" for panel to panel attachment.

For the panel to frame members does this look ok??

Blind Rivet, Head Type Domed, Rivet Type Open, Rivet Material 5052 Aluminum, Mandrel Material Aluminum, Rivet Dia. 1/8 (0.125)", Rivet Length 0.500", Grip Range 0.313 to 0.375", Core -, Head Dia. 0.250", Head Height 0.036", Drill Size #30, Hole Size 0.129 to 0.133", Single Shear Strength (Lbs.) 155, Tensile Strength (Lb.) 235, Package Quantity 500

Thanks.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.