Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I’m Looking for a little help regarding the available locations to take oil pressure readings from a 302 block. The normal location for this pressure bung is the front driver side of the block behind (between) the mechanical fuel pump and in front of the oil filter. My problem is, I bought the set of gauges from Factory Five and the oil pressure sensor is pretty big, and will not fit in this space (hits the base of the fuel pump) it does clear the oil filter, which is not relocated and in the block.
My options
1. Ditch the mechanical pump, run an electric (I don’t want to do this)
2. Use some type of extension nipple (steal pipe) that screws into the bung on the block, and then screw the adaptor fitting (which normally goes directly into bung on block) on the end of the extension to get the sensor farther away from the base of the fuel pump thus allowing room for the (giant) oil pressure sensor. Kind of a hack, but would probably work.
3. Maybe find a smaller oil pressure sensor that will fit in the normal location in the space available and not use the one shipped in the Factory Five kit?
4. Plug the bung location in the front driver side of engine and use another location to pull oil pressure from. Thus my primary question – anyone know of other bungs which are part of the oil channel? There is another bung on the driver side of the block at the rear, but search as I have online, I have not found the purpose of this bung.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Happy New Year!
Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
Go to a salvage yard or contact Max @ 5 Star you will need the extension for that it is a common part----useless

·
3,798 Posts
Or go to a hardware store and get a brass nipple and 45* fitting that will clear.

·
New
999 Posts
Here's how I located mine. (Remember to close the opening at the pickup location to a very small hole.)

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the Help!

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions and solutions! I'll follow up on these...

Jim

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help

Hi All,

I ended up just buying a steel extension on Ebay for $16 bucks. Extends from the bung in the block and the sensor screws into it at an angle. Simple and cheap, looks nice.

Time to fire the engine on this thing... :)

Thanks for all the help!

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts