Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an FFR Mark II frame, solid axle. The mounting bracket on the frame for the rear upper control arm appears to have 3 holes to choose from (one at bottom of bracket, one about an inch above that and another about 1 1/2 inch above that. The FFR manual does not give any guidance as to which hole is the correct one to use. The manual doesn't show but one hole and the bracket is different, so I am guessing that the Mark II frame is different? In looking at the effect of the 3 different holes, it appears that the lower the hole you choose, the further to the rear it will push the axle?????Anyway, does anyone have any guidance as to which of the three holes I put the bolts through?
Thanks, Bill

·
FFCobra Fanatic
378 Posts
The lower the hole, the more anti-squat you get. The original cars had wheel hop caused by the upper arm pulling the chassis down and lifting the tires under acceleration. By lowering the front of the upper control arm, it will tend to lift the chassis and plant the tires under acceleration. Can you have too much of a good thing? Yes. You can lower it enough that you will get the back end hopping while braking. On the road, you want the back of the car to neither raise nor lower much either accelerating or decelerating. For the drag strip, lower it down for bite. I would start off in the middle. Take your car, a jack and some wrenches to an empty parking lot. See how it reacts at the different positions, especially braking and accelerating while cornering. You will see pretty quickly which hole is the best.

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
The more horsepower you have, the lower the hole you need. If handling is the thing you want keep it all the way up, if straight line is what you want then go all the way down. Remember the nuts go inside and the bolts go in from the spring area. If you don't remember this you will be stuck with whatever you set up now. The cockpit aluminum will be in the way.

Hope this helps. Cheers Richard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts