Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Been There, Broke That
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's 1994 Toyota Landcruiser has about 150,000 miles on the chassis, he replaced the engine last year, it has about 60k on it. The engine had about 50k when he bought it from a junkyard. It has run great since the engine replacmement, until about 3 weeks ago when he noticed a puddle of water under the truck. He couldnt find the source of the water. Radiator was low, topped it off and no problem for about a week, then the same problem again. Took it to our local mechanic and he couldnt find anything. Radiator hoses and heater hoses are all intact.

Does this sound like a head gasket is going? That would explain the loss of water, causing overheating when water level gets low, but what is causing the puddle of water? I looked myself and cant find the source of the water leaking out onto the ground.

Any thoughts about what is going on here are appreciated.

Thanks.

Tom

·
Charter Member
1,766 Posts
Check the overflow tank. They can crack and dump water when hot. Bad radiator cap compounds the problem. I'd replace the radiator cap and check the tank. I've seen the problem on fj-60s. Pinhole radiaor leaks can do the same. I've seen that on both fj-40s and fj-60s. HTH. Scott

·
Been There, Broke That
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scott,

Thanks for the tips. I forgot to mention that the puddle seems to form on the ground toward the back of the engine, under about where the tranny bolts up. But we will check the overflow and the radiator tomorrow.

Thanks

Tom

·
Snake Charmer
3,464 Posts
Condensation from the AC unit? Down here when it's 100/100/120 every time you stop the car, puddles for under it. Windows also have condensation form on the outside ....

·
Been There, Broke That
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nah, it's not the AC, the puddle has antifreeze in it. Plus the coolant level goes down in the radiator.

Tom

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman FFR-4618
2,192 Posts
Where is the heater core, if it is inside maybe its leaking down going through a drain plug in the floor, check to see if the carpet is wet

·
Been There, Broke That
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tony, would the heater have to be on for coolant to leak through the core? Or does water circulate through the core even with the heater off?

Thanks

Tom

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman FFR-4618
2,192 Posts
not to sure but I believe the water does circulate through even with the htr. off.
Is the leak on the Pass. side.

·
Senior Charter Member
238 Posts
Hey Lawman - I have a 97 and used to spend quite a bit of time on this Landcruiser forum - Ih8mud Forum. A lot of VERY knowledgable guys on there as well as some Toyota parts guys.

My guess would be the head gasket - 93-97 models were notorious for having a weakness, many of them blow in the exact same spot. Check with those guys and they'll probably figure it out for you.

Cheers,
Brandon

·
Been There, Broke That
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brandon,

Thanks for the heads-up on the forum. I think your guess about the head gasket is going to turn out right. The question then is whether it is worth fixing.

Thanks

Tom

·
Supporting Vendor & Admin
8,396 Posts
My 96 had the same problem and and it was the rear heater that was leaking. It was running down over the exhast and I thought the motor was terminal with the ater dripping off the pipe. Other than that, I have only put brake pads, oil and one set of tires on it in 84,000 miles. My Tundra has 116,000 on it now and it has only had tires, oil, brake pads and the timing belt replaced (regular 90K mile service). Oops, I forgot the only thing that ever broke on it, the dome light burned out...

·
Senior Charter Member
238 Posts
It's definitely worth keeping if you ask me. Take good care of that motor and it will easily last 250k miles. Mine has 106k on it, and the only thing I've ever had to do besides fluids and brakes is replace the starter. Those trucks are built like tanks.

·
Been There, Broke That
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wayne,

My son is back at Lehigh now so I dont have the Landcrusher in the driveay to look at just now, so when you say "rear heater" are you talking about something in the engine bay or inside the truck?

Rugger, I agree they are built like tanks, unfortunately we blew the first engine because of poor maintenance and now this replacement engine is from a wreck and we know nothing about its history. I just hope it is not a head gasket because with the overhead cams it is a PITA to replace the gasket.

Thanks guys.

Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts