Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· FFCobra Owner
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy belated Thanks G to all!
I have a small issue in engine idle and asking for advice. I have the best guy taking care of my car but we both have sort come up short on an answer
Car runs very very well, first of all! But, on a day to day event it sometimes struggles with keeping my 975-1k idle and it drops to bout 850ish and seems to be trying to regain the normal above idle. We changed the TFI recently as it went out. I will be moving it to a better location. But the idle thing continues to perplex. Some facts to help you :
Runs little rich
Always runs excellent once in motion
Year ago we changed the dizzy, not sure bout the coil
427 w, Massflo EFI
STARTED doing this idle issue after new TFI, basically.

Ok, thanks in advance for the help

Fred z

· section 8
5,135 Posts
this might be too simple but have you scanned it and checked for codes and dont forget just because its new....... seen too many new parts not work out of the box recently. The only other ideas are the TFI connector wiggle it while running and see what happens, A little rich might be normal with a big cam also did you disconnect battery and do the idle relearn?? Hope this helps Bob

· FFCobra Owner
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Bob
Yes, believe we relearned idle from battery disconnect. Yes, I know about those NEW parts not always being true. Not sure about the scanning point, unless you are referring to codes on distributor !
Will pass to my wrencher

· section 8
5,135 Posts
Sometimes when the tfi fails it will set codes cant remember the numbers "pip" erratic "no pip signal"etc "pip" = profile ignition pickup (or hall effect switch). Assuming you are using motocraft dist , sometimes the pickup is at fault . I usually test per the "bible" pg 300-301 . It is possible both are bad and the tfi sort of fixed it, it's a sometimes they work sometimes they dont thing. Good news part is cheap , bad news you need to dismember dist (hard) , or buy a reman dist w/out module and put on your gear.Clear the codes with the scan tool drive around some retest.Ahh code 14 +211+212+213 good luck Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.