Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
300 miles on her and everything is fine except for the occassional driveshaft bind when I drive through a depression or big pothole in the road. No bind when I go over bumps. I have a T5, 8.8 rear w/ 3 link - FFR coil over springs (not sure on lbs). I've tried adjusting it out but it's still happens and with a passenger in the car it gets worse. I can see the small marks on the u-joints where it's binding. It's very annoying, what can I do to correct this? Do I need to adjust ride height, get different srpings in rear, etc.

Thanks

·
Charter Member
456 Posts
Vortechsq, you need to adjust the pinion angle on rear axle. Its to far out of alignment. Do a search and you will get your answer. I had the same deal and I have the same set-up as you.
Limey

·
Junior Charter Member
185 Posts
if your hitting on dips in the road, your ride height must be way off, check your pinion angle, you may need to shim your trans also, i was low in the back and hitting my tire on the rear fender, turn the springs a bit

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,699 Posts
I assume you are hitting when the axle comes up as a result of the bump right? I had the same situation.When i jacked the car up by the rear axle so I could look at things as they are aligned while driving I could see my trans was lower than the diff.i shimmed the trans up about 1/2 inch w/ washers and problem is solved.BTW, the very end of the trans moves up by slightly more than the thickness of your shim or stack of washers.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
not to hijack the thread but in the earlier versions MK 1 with a solid axle and coil overs the upper and lower control arms can only be installed one way. There is no adjustment (I believe the MKII's had upper and lower holes?) How do you go about rotating the rear to adjust pinion angle??? On the list of things to do is a set of adjustable uppers but until then there is not a lot to play with. Rear ride height is between 4-4.5" and I shimmed the tranny

·
Registered
531 Posts
I just went through this with my setup(same as yours). Springs are 250lbs unless you requested something different. I adjusted the rear ride height to 4.5" and had two issues to fix.
First, the angle of the drive shaft was too great and I had to shim(Fortes) the tranny to bring up and lessen the angle. Second, I had to adjust the angle of the rear end so it was parallel to the tranny.

BTW, I had everything adjusted and my rear end dropped ~1.5 inches in the first 200 miles. I reset the ride height and had to go through everything again.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I had the exact same issue. I needed a shim of about 0.050" under the transmission mount. I would check it with the car on stands and the coilovers springs taken off. You will be surprised how far up the shocks will go.

It would be a good idea to check your pinion angle while you are working on it if you did not set the angle during your build.

The MKIII with a T5 can be set to where you get no bind from full droop to full compression and that is what you want. The bind on your driveshaft could lead to failure of the yoke or universal joint which would be very bad that close to your right hip.

Bobby

·
Charter Member
183 Posts
If you put the car up on a four post lift like a alignment rack where the car is sitting on it's wheels you can really see how everything is lined up. I've even have used 2by 10's to drive up on and then climbed under, I had to shim my trans on my mk1, no problems with my mk3 at all.

·
Senior Charter Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I'll try adjusting a bit more and shimming the tranny if needed.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Try shimming up the trans 3/4" first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts