Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a good day today, stripped the engine from my '89 donor down to the block (a first for me), have an appointment at the machine shop tomorrow. I tried to be careful labeling everything, however when I was removing the power steering pump and air conditioner compressor I noticed the below part on the floor. I think its from the compressor, but I would like to be sure. Any help is appreciated.

Todd

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,600 Posts
I may have come out when one of the hoses was removed. Check if a fitting is till attached to the hose that should have stayed on the part.

·
4,318 Posts
looks like it came out of the PS pump where the pressure hose fits, you removed too much with the hose

·
613 Posts
That is the power steering pump pressure relief valve and spring. Like RJG posted, you took too much apart. By the way- the spring goes in the pump first. HTH mike

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Agree the power steering relief valve. Before you reinstall it may as well trim the spring some to lessen the amount of power assist. It's needed if you plan to use power steering without installing the Heit's valve.

·
644 Posts
Originally posted by Hind Sight:
Agree the power steering relief valve. Before you reinstall it may as well trim the spring some to lessen the amount of power assist. It's needed if you plan to use power steering without installing the Heit's valve.
I'm GLAD you brought this up: how much to trim? I remember hearing about one coil. Is this correct?

Obviously to be safe I could trim a half coil at a time until I get it to the point I like, but I'm just wondering what everyone is doing.

Stan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts