Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car left me stranded for the first time yesterday. Driving along running great then I felt a little skipping that quickly developed into a strong stumble with the engine stumbling and not able to rev. Then she died and I coasted to the side of the road. This all happened within a couple tenths of a mile. When I try to start, it catches for a cople pops then dies and just spins. Luckly I was close to home and with the help of AAA was home in my garage in under 30 minutes.

When I turn the key I do hear the fuel pump cycle. Fue injected and CPU is from a 1995 GT.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
You need to diagnose if you have spark at all, but if it’s popping to some extent you likely are getting fuel at least. If it’s all still the 95 electronics you want to check the coil, the SPOUT jumper (little grey piece of plastic that can be pulled out like a fuse, near the distributor) and check that main coil wire to cap is good. Also, I’ve seen it happen before, make sure the distributor didn’t come lose and adjust the timing to something wacky

·
Registered
142 Posts
Have you chipped the factory ECU to talk to your bigger engine? If you are using a TFI distributor the thin film piece could have given up too.

·
Charter Member
1,756 Posts
You describe the same predicament I was in several years ago. I fixed the problem by removing the entire EFI system and installed a Holley 850 DP. Problem fixed, runs great.

·
Charter Member
1,497 Posts
My car left me stranded for the first time yesterday. Driving along running great then I felt a little skipping that quickly developed into a strong stumble with the engine stumbling and not able to rev. Then she died and I coasted to the side of the road. This all happened within a couple tenths of a mile. When I try to start, it catches for a cople pops then dies and just spins. Luckly I was close to home and with the help of AAA was home in my garage in under 30 minutes.

When I turn the key I do hear the fuel pump cycle. Fue injected and CPU is from a 1995 GT.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Mine did the same thing when it broke. My billet camshaft ate the cast iron distributor gear. Had a shop rebuild my distributor and specified a “steel” gear. So much for that. Metal got everywhere so I had to machine and rebuild the engine. It was a great time to put a 418 stroker kit in it. Mike

·
Junior Charter Member
969 Posts
Check for spark first, if the fuel pump is running you at least have fuel to the engine.

TFI module is a common failure on those. I carry a spare and the special socket to change it.

if not TFI then look at your computer, they have capacitors that fail with age.

·
Registered
408W, Tremec TKO600, Homemade sequential EFI, 3link.
6 Posts
You're missing compression, fuel or spark. Those are the ingredients to internal combustion. If ir cranks normally, you have compression. Will it start on carb cleaner? That will verify fuel. You can check spark by pulling a plug wire, holding it near ground and cranking the engine. If you have all three and it still doesn't run, check the distributor drive gear as it may have eaten some teeth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts