Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Out-of-control teenager
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we started our engine for the first time on friday and have been troubleshooting a fuel problem ever since.

First the fuel pump was not running with the ignition turned on. So just to make sure everything was working, we ran a hot wire directly from the battery to the fuel pump. We fired the engine and it ran beautifully before we shut it off after about 15 seconds to try and fix the fuel system.

We ended up noticing that we had incorrectly connected the inertia cut-off switch, preventing the fuel pump from getting 12.5 volts at ignition. So the fuel pump now runs, pressurizes, and then shuts off after about 1 second. But now when we start the engine, it starts fine, runs for about 2 seconds and stalls. Before we start problem solving tomorrow, any ideas as to what may be wrong here?

As always, any advice is greatly appreciated.

[ October 07, 2002, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Max Thompson ]

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
Max, I'll start. I think there are many possibilities here and sooner or later everyone that replys will hit all of them.

The two quick ones that you can try are:

1. Is the fuel filter cartridge new. If not, the car may not be getting fuel. They will typically sart, run a few seconds and then flame out.

2. Try resetting your computer by removing BOTH battery cables from the terminals, rubbing them together, and reconnecting. I have had that solve several problems on several occasions.

3. OK, I lied when I said two things to try, but this is related to #1. If you have a fuel pressure guage, watch it. It should be somewheres between 35-45 pounds. This thing really sounds like a fuel problem.

Just a few starting points. Frank.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
784 Posts
thats exactly what its supposed to do.

Key on, prime for ~1 sec then shut off. When the PCM see's the PIP signal then it will turn the pump back on. This is for safty reasons.

Phil

·
Out-of-control teenager
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what I get for posting late at night before we even get the chance to trouble-shoot the problem ourselves: it makes me look dumb. It is all just an idle set-screw problem. Simply give it a little gas and it idles just fine. And Frank, that F cam is definately a "marching band", but it sounds GREAT!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
Max - yup, it is a great sound. Especially at the light when the guy next to you knows (to put it in the language of the swamps around here) "I ain't brung enough."

Frank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.