Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I have some brake line questions, that I can't quite figure out.

1. Brake distributioning block - is this a donor part or does it come with the kit?
1a. I have read about the "prop valve" in my pre-bent brake line kit. Is this the same as the distributioning block?
2. I have seen diagrams with the MC having a third outlet on the bottom. Mine only has two outlets on the side. Is this a problem?
3. What's the best way to attach the brake lines to the frame?
4. If there a small distribution block at the rear axle as well?
5. If the distribution blocks are donor parts and I am not going donor, where do I get them.
6. Anybody have pictures of their brake line install?

THANKS GUYS!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,830 Posts
1. it's a donor part 1a. no, that is a valve to adjust brake bias from front to back, thats probably the way you want to go, if you are going to race any. 2. which M C do you have? 3. use the mounting clips that come with the kit (the smallest ones) 4. no 5. salvage yard or a forum member not using theirs. 6. see John Bakers, My 427 s c web site excellent pics,

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey cobradawg (GO SEC!) thanks for the quick reply. Is the prop valve something the Mustang suppliers would have?

My MC is from Breeze - I think it is a '94 replacement.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,688 Posts
I've heard the best way to tell if you need a prop valve is to take the car out (someplace wide open) and try to lock up the brakes. If the rears lock up first, you need to reduce the pressure to the rear with a prop valve.

I'm using discs all around and the jeep m/c. No prop valve on my setup. I think you should make sure you need to adjust the bias before you install one.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,078 Posts
The MC you got from breeze should be a 93 Mustang Cobra MC. The hole in front, run to the side and with a "T" installed they go to the front brakes. The back hole goes to the rear brakes. Install the prop valve inline (rear brakes) where you can reach it. FYI, most guys here have to leave the prop valve wide open, meaning you don't really need it. It's up to you, won't hurt to have it but most don't need it. Good luck,
Doug

·
Registered
688 Posts
Most non-donors don't use the stock distribution valve. It already contains a non-adjustable proportioning valve set up for a 3600lb car with 60% of its weight on the front wheels. Hardly the ideal for a 2200lb car with 48% on the front.

I agree with Dan and DFRESH, don't install a proportioning valve until you're sure you need one.

Rick

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,170 Posts
If you're using drums in the back you most likely don't need a prop valve.
If you have disks you might and it's easier to install it now than later.

I have a 84 manual MC and a valve, even with drums. Don't need it now, but I plan to upgrade to disks later. My valve is directly under the MC.

Olivier

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The MC Breeze has now is from the '94 Cobra - nice piece. Just talked to Mark and he is ALWAYS SOOOOO helpful. Anyway, yeah those pieces don't have the bottom outlet like the earlier ones do. I have the pre-bent lines from Tri-State, and I just talke to Mike as well - should be able to still use most of those lines. I will go without dist. block I will have to find a 3/16" coupling fitting) and prop valve for initial set-up, even though I have discs all-around (I do have 13" up front). Thanks for the quick input guys.

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
safety first!
too many people leave parts out because someone else said it wasn't needed....
If you understand the difference between a distribution valve, a propotioning valve and a combination valve and what thier purpose is, you can figure it out on your own....when it comes to brakes there are a number of safety factors to consider beyond funtion and performance...like what happens if i sping a leak in my brake system?
always error on the side of safety and not play the odds on what might and may not happen..it's the things you assume or take for granted that end up biting you...at least that has been experience in 18 years od R&D and product developement

1 - 10 of 10 Posts