Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
6,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help pick and find a power steering pump.

I am in the process of looking for a power steering pump for a winter project.
I run the autocross so I need an AL pump with a higher RPM limit.9000MAX
6.00" Crank / 4.2" pump= 1.428X6200=8857 Pump RPM

The KRC pumps are way out of my budget, $650 +$750.....
My next option is a Jones Pump, no information on there website.
Mark also sells a GM Type II low flow style pump from Maval, not sure how good this unit is for autcorssing.

john

One option is Jones for around $247 no pully.
I called them and they recommend no more than 4800-5500 RPM's on the pump.

·
Not a waxer
12,096 Posts
How about doing it like the Challenge series guys and run an OEM pump with a larger pulley to underdrive it?

Maybe my math ain't so good but even I know it's a whole bunch less expensive to buy a $40 pulley and $50 pump ;) And yes, before you ask the Ford pump works fine. I've been using one for five seasons and hundreds of runs.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Just a thought:perhaps the combination of a smaller crank pulley and a larger pump pulley will keep the pump max RPM within recomended limits. This combo will impact low speed pump assist and perhaps coolant circulation unless you keep the revs up, but it might be the solution for you. Might be worth running a calculation to see.
HTH
CB

·
FFCobra Fanatic
6,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a thought:perhaps the combination of a smaller crank pulley and a larger pump pulley will keep the pump max RPM within recomended limits. This combo will impact low speed pump assist and perhaps coolant circulation unless you keep the revs up, but it might be the solution for you. Might be worth running a calculation to see.
HTH
CB
The problem is the crank pully is part of the blower pully.
I can get another S/C pully with a smaller 4.5 ACC pully.
But that is going to cost almost $300 more dollars.
I am looking a a $684 KRC pump with a 4.2 pully that is good for 9000RPMS. with a cooler I should be fine.
I am going to go with a 2.5 rack from atozone.
They are giving me a discount, $50.00, not to bad.....

·
Premium Member
18,256 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
6,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
9,127 Posts
Hi John,
I have several P/S kits I'm working on besides the stock Mustang P/S pump setup.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
6,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi John,
I have several P/S kits I'm working on besides the stock Mustang P/S pump setup.

More info pleaese.

What do you have that will work with my application?
I really don't want to change out the crank pully.
So I would need something that will work with what I have.
I have a 6" crank pully.

·
Premium Member
18,256 Posts
That is interesting, not sure how that gets installed?

Either way, even with a 4.5" crank pully I still can't use a different pump.
4.5" crank pully / 4.2" pump pully * 6200 Engine RPM = 6642 pump RPM

Iron pump max's at 5500 RPM....
A mandrel is a pretty common race part. I used one for a while to run a crank case vacuum pump (which turned out to be a bad idea, BTW). It usually bolts to end of the crank shaft, using a longer bolt.

Some fit inside crank pulley, and uses the same bolts the crank pulley does.

You could use a 3" mandrel pulley and 4.5" pump pulley - the pump runs at 66% engine speed. 4,330 pump speed at 6,500 rpm's.

·
ff cobra master craftsman
2,784 Posts
have you thought about one of the electric steering pump set ups?.

·
ff cobra master craftsman
2,784 Posts
if you look into it everybody use to use toyota mr2 electric pumps, mayby lexus also?.
tomorow and sunday thompson speedway is having there automotive flea market swap meet you may be able to find a sweet or jones p/s pump and tank set up.

·
Premium Member
9,127 Posts
As a dealer for Unisteer I have sold many of these. Unisteer makes Nice parts!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.