Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the community and need some help. I have acquired a mk III from a family friend. The car is complete however as a part of the deal I was required to deconstruct and replace the frame. This was requested not due to structural issues, rather liability concerns in the transfer.
Does anyone have an uncompleted project for an mkIII or know of where I can locate one. Very few of the parts can be transferred over to the updated kit per FFR.
Any help is appreciated. This deconstruct and rebuild will be a great project for Father/Son/Grandson. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I am sorry, but this does not make any sense to me. Pretty much they asked for you to take apart a fully built car because of a perceived liability issue. I am not a lawyer, but I cannot believe that replacing the frame would help here. I really hope you did not pay much for it. I get that this was a part of the deal and I will keep an eye out for a MKIII unfinished kit for you.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I agree w/ Brastic. these kits are bought and sold all the time after they've been built. Can you clarify what liability issues are of concern here?

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
Make me #3. That makes no sense. The frame is fully fabricated at Factory Five, so a replacement frame wouldn't be any more reliable.

·
Junior Charter Member
768 Posts
I believe they made minor changes along the way so you’d need to get a frame close in # to the one you’ve got.

Wouldn’t the ownership go with the frame?
That could open some ugly legal issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was attempting to make my post very short as this process has been going on for several months now. I am very close to the family that built this Cobra. The father built this car and then had a company in NC replace the motor. That company specializes in FFR builds and was a part of a lawsuit that was recently settled. I am unsure of all of the specific details of the suit as they really didn't matter. The fact it happened in the first place is what has placed this liability concern on the owners mind.
Get ready for this as it will boggle your mind and I assure you all of your thoughts are the same I had as I heard this being told by him.
Short recap- Cobra built and then sold three different times. This company along the way did some engine work and updates. The most recent owner allowed his very young son to drive the car. That individual was impaired and wrapped the car around a pole and was seriously injured and I believe his girlfriend is now a quadriplegic. The family sued every owner of the vehicle as well as this company and all settled out of court. Now this should have gone to court and a much different result would have come as the liability for the injury was not on the builder of the vehicle, rather the impaired driver!!! But we all know how insurance companies will settle for less than a lengthy court process to save money in the long run regardless of the facts of the case and winnability.
So...…...Due to these factors my situation was created. The owner was not even going to sell this car, rather was going to just have it destroyed. I was able to convince him to let me have the vehicle and at the very least pull the drivetrain and use on another project. Along the way I decided I would rather keep this vehicle as it is an incredible car. I have since been attempting avenues to reduce/remove his liability. I myself am in law enforcement in North Carolina and have a good friend that works for the state as an investigator in DMV/Motor Vehicle theft. There is a process where the state will issue the vehicle a new VIN completely removing the old VIN and association with previous owner. This investigator advised that he completes 1-2 of these for FFR vehicles each year. I initiated this process and then presented the owner and he has again refused the process. Which leads me back to here, I have to find a mkIII frame or find a shop that can build one. FFR has been very helpful, but very clear that the vast majority of parts will not transfer to the mkIV frame.

Sorry for length, I promise I have been just as baffled and irritated since starting this process as I am sure you are in hearing about it. As a side note I had approval from the boss(wife) to engage in minimal cost of swapping out the frame and/or just starting a different process using the drivetrain. We however are not in a place to take on starting from scratch at this time. Again thanks for all the responses and input, any and all assistance is appreciated.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Thank you for replying. We knew there was more to the story. I see no reason to comment about lawsuit here as I bet we are all on the same page. As for transferring the chassis, I bet that you can find unfinished kits out there somewhere. We really do not know how many kits get finished and registered, but I bet it is in the 50% range. Give it some time, and an unfinished kit will show up. Personally, I would just swap the running gear. Good luck and keep us informed on your adventure.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
i'm assuming the pic you have was before the wreck, right? or did he have the fiberglass repaired w/ very little damage to the actual chassis?
so you're planning on pulling the drivetrain out and putting it into another chassis?
what other parts were you planning on using? shouldn't the rollbars, windshield, etc be pretty universal regardless of generation of MK? I'm guessing the aluminum panels might be different if you were planning on upcycling those.

I agree w/ brastic, look around for someone who has given up or never got started on their kit.
perhaps you can find a rolling chassis and sell the rest of the car you don't use.

·
Junior Charter Member
768 Posts
I would use this kit as parts to build a new car from a new kit and sell any leftovers.

But the whole story makes my bs alarm go off. I wouldn’t bother with this much trouble.

If someone said “I’ll give you a deal on my mustang as long as you promise to build a new car from the parts with a new vin so that it can’t be traced back to me”
I’d walk away.

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
I would use this kit as parts to build a new car from a new kit and sell any leftovers.

But the whole story makes my bs alarm go off. I wouldn’t bother with this much trouble.

If someone said “I’ll give you a deal on my mustang as long as you promise to build a new car from the parts with a new vin so that it can’t be traced back to me”
I’d walk away.

I have to agree, something doesn't seem right. That car doesn't look like it's been 'wrapped around a tree'.

·
Registered
797 Posts
This deal sounds like it might evolve into a mess. Walk away and find something else.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I read the explanation differently. This car hasn't been damaged. It had an engine installed at a shop that had recently been sued and settled for the accident described on a different car they had worked on.
This story has caused the previous owner of this car concerns about liability and thus the condition to take it apart and instal a new frame.
If this is the case, then the easiest solution would be an unfinished or not started Mk3 kit. Removing the aluminum panels, if properly bonded, would be very difficult without distorting them. Installing them on a new frame and getting them to bond properly is tough. Silicone sealant does not stick to cured silicone sealant. It would be an awful lot of work.

Norm

·
Registered
243 Posts
Wow! Crazy story! Re-reading explanation I think Norm B is correct. Sounds like this car had some work done to it by a shop that got sued for another car they had worked on. Regardless if builder won't accept a re-VIN and certification seems like this will just end up as a parts car. Too bad, it looks like a nice build (Under car exhaust, wire wheel look great etc).

Keep us posted....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I apologize I may have not been clear. The car in the picture is the one I have. It has not been wrecked. The story was about one that had been worked on by the same builder that the previous owner of mine had worked on. He was the builder in my story that was sued and settled. He is the one that shared this story and got the owner of mine so liability crazy. Sorry for confusion.
At this point, I have tried everything and my only options left are finding a replacement frame.
Thanks in advance for anyone that can help.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,511 Posts
Call Mike Everson, i am certain he will have a solution to your woes!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts