Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
FFR Master Builder
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting ready for my winter mods and would like some advice on HP parts. heres what my setup is now
stock 5.0 internals
30lb injectors
6lb powerdyne supercharger
255lph fuel pump

over the winter i am going to add
12lb pulley
FMU to the fuel line
adjustable fuel reg. calibrated for a supercharger
i am going to eliminate the EGR

what would be a good upper and lower intake, throttle body size, and heads to work with this setup. emmisions is not a issue so give me some input. i am looking for atleast 450 ponies

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,617 Posts
Give me a call in the morning. I have a lot of stuff that will help you make lots of power.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Can you run 12lb without an intercooler or a lower compression motor. Sounds like a lot of boost if its 9.0 to 1 cr. Maybe some of the supercharger gurus can chime in. I would think you would start to detonate. The air going in the engine is going to get very hot.

·
8,153 Posts
I would have to agree. 12# on a stock compression non intercooled motor will take a very good tune not to have problems. Jumping from 6# straight to 12# is like playing with a live grenade. Your tune will change completely. Adding an FMU will also completely change your fuel curve. You need to sneak up on things very carefully when adding boost. You may want to add new head gaskets to the list.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,441 Posts
I would start with a good set of heads. AFR 165's would give you another 75 - 100 HP without running any more boost. (You will need more pulley, but the boost will stay the same).

75mm Throttle body and Edelbrock RPM 5.0 Intake with a larger MAF sensor and you will make 450+ HP at 6 lbs with a lot more reliability than running 12 lbs. of boost.

By the way, you said stock bottom end. What year is the engine? Do you have Forged or Hypereutectic pistons? It will make a difference if you are serious about 12 lbs of boost.

Kevin

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,441 Posts
I think 88 has forged pistons. Does anyone know exactly when Ford changed to the hypereutectic pistons? I used to know this :mad:

Kevin

·
Junior Charter Member
1,991 Posts
They changed in mid 92 I think.

·
2,071 Posts
John, It really depends how much money that you want to spend. With your engine the number one thing that it needs is to breath, heads. A good set of AFR's, Trick Flow or even Ford X303's will wake that engine up. Forget the 12lb pulley unless you want to change injectors, fuel rails, mass air. Stock fuel rails will only support up to 30lb injectors. Powerdyne superchargers will run forever as long as you stay with 9 lbs. or less.
Go with a good Fuel Pressure regulator like the Aeromotive, the cheap ones are just that cheap. Forget the FMU, the Aeromotive regulator is boost compensated and if you have a chip built to tune the engine right the FMU is just a piece of useless hardware. With the 255 pump that you are running you will have enough fuel flow to handle any mofifications. I just finished last weekend at Willow Spring where I put on over 200 track miles on the car with a 9lb Powerdyne setup and it ran like a clock the entire weekend.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Originally posted by jammin1:
getting ready for my winter mods and would like some advice on HP parts. heres what my setup is now
stock 5.0 internals
30lb injectors
6lb powerdyne supercharger
255lph fuel pump

over the winter i am going to add
12lb pulley
FMU to the fuel line
adjustable fuel reg. calibrated for a supercharger
i am going to eliminate the EGR

what would be a good upper and lower intake, throttle body size, and heads to work with this setup. emmisions is not a issue so give me some input. i am looking for atleast 450 ponies
One thing I think is important to realize is the 12lb pulley won't be spinning the blower to produce 12lbs of boost if you replace the heads and intake. That rating is based on the stock heads and intake, which will present much more of a restriction to airflow, which is why you have boost "pressure" in the intake system in the first place.

I really don't know what your final boost will be, but either way, with heads, intake, AND the smaller pulley, you'll be making some serious HP.

I second 331 Notch's suggestions. The only other intake I would consider is the Holley Systemax. I would specifically go with TF track heat heads because of the better springs and minimal additional cost over the base twisted wedge heads.

I also think a 70mm TB would work fine, but the 75 would also work.

Once you start cranking up the boost like this, parts that would otherwise seem too big for 302 are just about right.

You should be able to hit your power goals, and then some.

I would ping Wade Chamberlain and get his opinion too. His TF headed 306 with a Vortech and a GT40 intake is making over 400hp to the wheels. I believe he eliminated the FMU and simply runs larger injectors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts