Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m finally at the stage in my build I need to finalize the color. I’m painting it myself so no candies and I’m afraid to try a tri-coat. I’m looking for something similar to Nuclear sunset orange, Tangelo or hot hues candy orange with pearl that explodes in the sun. I’m hoping the experts can chime in here? What I don’t want is a car that looks bronze or dark in the shade/garage.
Thanks

·
Not a waxer
12,128 Posts
I’ve done Dodge “Mango Tango”, code PVG with both Pearl white stripes as well as with metallic black. It’s a base/clear not a tri coat. Best results are if you put it over a dark gray or black ground coat or sealer.

These first 2 are in direct sun.

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Here the sun is low and behind.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Cheers,
Jeff

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

·
3,876 Posts
Check out the 2020 & 2021 C8 Corvette color “Sebring Orange” looks beautiful in the sun🍺

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jeff, I have seen that color in person. Looks great outside like so many of the oranges I’d have to see it under lights. Is that the same as Viper toxic orange? . The science of paint colors is amazing. I saw the car below at the open house a few years back but I’m pretty sure it’s a candy. I don’t want a car I only like the color in the sun.
. Vehicle Wheel Tire Car Automotive lighting

·
Not a waxer
12,128 Posts
...Is that the same as Viper toxic orange?
It's the same OEM code and PPG number. Same colors often get recycled among the model lineup under different names. Dodge also called it "Toxic Orange" on some Challengers and Chargers (maybe some Jeeps as well).

Jeff

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ve seen PPG orange glow and it’s exactly what I’m looking for but it’s a tri- coat made to look like a candy. I wouldn’t feel comfortable shooting an entire car on that type of finish. Thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Mitsubishi Durango Copper Mica, code P01

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
How's this? It's a non-metallic paint that I believe was called "Grabber Orange" by Ford back in the '70s or maybe before.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

(twisties at Gingerman Raceway in Michigan)

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

(Turn 14 at Road America in Wisconsin)

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive design

(Inside Turn 5, Road America in WI)

Different light makes it change a bit, but most of the difference is probably from the cameras used. I always liked the Gulf Racing colors, so reversed them for my Challenge Car.

Best wishes,
Tom

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Here's a list of Ford Oranges used on various cars over the years with their paint codes. Several are non-metallic which should be easier for DIY painting. I would imagine any or all of them should be available in a Base Coat/Clear Coat form.
I liked the Twister Orange on the 2020-2021 Mustang and it's similar to what I had on the Challenge car I raced. Their Grabber Orange from 2007-2009 is slightly different but is also a non-metallic and is close to mine, also.
Orange Mustang Colors & Paint Codes - LMR.com
Best wishes,
Tom
PS: the Blue I used on my race car was a Geo Metro color, if I remember correctly. It's a bit richer than the Gulf Racing blue (a bit more pastel).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts