Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
7,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will hopefully have enough money to purchase a Daytona or FFR GT v-8 before the end of the year. But i am also considering selling my wifes Miata and replacing it with a 1997 or 1998 Corvette. the Corvette will cost the same or less in the end then building either of the other two cars. With the Vette we get all the creature comforts and still have great performance. BTW this does not effect my Cobra ownership. Any opinions????
Mike

[ October 08, 2002, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: Michael Everson ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
547 Posts
I would do a daytona or gtv-8

everyone and their brother has a vette

·
Super Moderator
29,434 Posts
Mike-

I would build a GT40.

2FAST

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mike,as much as I love Vettes,personally I think I would miss the build too much.
Either way sounds like fun,good luck.
Cliff

·
Gruntled Member
264 Posts
If you get a '97 or '98 vette, make sure the steering column recall has been installed. I had a '97 and a '99, and both had the steering column lock up a total of 4 times.

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
I had a 1997 6-speed. Nice car. Some of the best brakes on a productionn car and power anywhere you want it. Go drive one.

If you build a Daytona, you would have 1 of 100. I think they are great investments. Unlike the Corvette, you can make a very nice profit in 3-4 years of fun miles. Plus it will be faster. But speed is relitive, they are both fast cars.

I would build the Daytona with IRS.

- Bill

·
Senior Charter Member
293 Posts
Mike, I'd have to agree with 2fast. The vette probably is the comfortable of these cars. My neighboor owns a vette Z06. I don't know him all that well but we have spoken about it. It is a bauetiful car and your right, a great performer for the money. On the other hand, one of my client owns a Roaring Forties GT40. There really is no comparison. Only problem is it is really not your everyday spousal car. I would say that would be true of the GT-v8, NO? It's like that poster with three exotics, "Decisions, Decisions, Decisions." I guess either way you will come out winning. Good Luck!!! Martin

·
FFCobra Craftsman
784 Posts
Mike,

If you go with the C5 make sure it a 98 and up..more power and we (GM) worked a lot of bugs outof them.

Phil

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well, think about money for a moment. If you buy a vette and drive it for 2-3 years...when you sell it you've lost between $4-$5,000. On the other hand, build a Daytona or a GT v-8, and drive for 2-3 years and sell it for a profit!!! Why not have creature comforts?? I don't think either will ever be as user friendly as a vette, but throw in a good stereo and A/C..maybe even automatic, and drive the heck out of it...AND make money doing it!!! Just my $.02. dino

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,655 Posts
Get the Vette. You won't have any problems getting it registered and insured.

Olli

·
Senior Charter Member
297 Posts
You don't say if you have another vehicle with all the 'creature comforts'. If you do and your wife is willing to keep the Miata, then I say build another (GT-40 is my preference). On the otherhand, if the Miata is your 'creature comfort' vehicle, then I say ditch it and buy the vette. Both you and your wife will be much happier.

As cool as it would be to build a Daytona Coupe, GT v-8, or GT-40, none of them will compare to the vette in the comfort category and it will be a big step up from the Miata. No way would I, nor my wife, be without our 'creature comfort' daily drivers.

"....drive the heck out of it...AND make money doing it!!!
maybe, maybe not.....

JMHO,

Gene

·
Senior Charter Member
3,848 Posts
Go with the Vette. Still have the Cobra for some down n dirty. Have the Vette for those nights out where the weather is iffy, or daily commuting etc.

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
Mike,

Take a break! You've been stressing too much building Kit Cars left and right! Buy the Vette and make your wife happy, and take a 2 year break from Car building, instead focus your energy on making more cool stuff for our Roadsters!.
I saw that you sold the K1 on eBay...is it gone?

·
Rip Snortin Post Maniac
1,044 Posts
Values of C5 Vettes are going to drop like rocks. Especially when the C6 comes out. GM really flooded the market with the C5.

They are nice but if you like to mod (like me), everything for the Vette is "gold plated". :rolleyes:

Go get yourself a new 03 Cobra. It will blow the doors off of the C5(maybe not he Z06), you won't see one on every corner and you can get gobs of HP for under $2k in mods.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
If the car is meant to be adriver for your wife, then get the Vette.

·
Super Moderator
29,434 Posts
I still prefer one of these. In fact, I plan on ordering a kit next summer

2FAST

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Mike! Ya gotta’ do the right thing... and “do” the Daytona! They’re way bad!

Photo was taken in the paddock at the Glen... Sunday, October 6th, 2002... :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.