Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all those builders who have done this...
I can't get the thunderbird outer (fixed) joints apart to rebuild the axles. The inner plunge joints came apart easily with a 3 jaw puller, but I can separate the fixed joints. I have tried a 5 pound sledge with an aluminum drift, and even tried to pull them apart with the axle nut. I cut 1.2" holes in 1/4" steel plate and slid one over the axle nut threads and slid one over the middle bar, welded tabs onto the middle bar, placed brick spacers between the plates, and tightened the axle nut to pull the joint apart. All it did was bend the steel plate.
How did you guys get the fixed cv joint apart to rebuild the axle?
Thanks.

·
Junior Charter Member
402 Posts
Did you remove the ring fastener from the shaft? Ring fastener is my name, I can't remember the actual name of it.

Snake

·
Premium Member
10,474 Posts
On the fixed end, you can't get the snap ring off that's located inside. You have to drive it over the snap ring. I put my axel in a vice, took a large brass punch, big hammer and several sharp whacks later, off she came.
Really wasn't too hard.

Good luck.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did remove the outer clip (prevents over insertion of the shaft into the joint) but can not drive the joint off of the shaft.

·
Slowest Builder in NY
455 Posts
I feel your pain.

There are actually three or four really good posts on this subject (of course, a couple I had found after I completed my disassembly). Below is my ranting post:

http://www.ffcars.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/ubb/get_topic/f/91/t/002731/p/1.html#000000
:D
The Frequently Asked Questions section of this site has good instruction too.

Here's a great build site:
http://home.comcast.net/~cobrasite4/html/disassemble_irs.HTM

I still have my 3 ft. tri-lobe removal pipe calibrated specifically for this job.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just talked to the Raxels guys. They say to use the BFH and that it is a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like the pipe should do it. Thanks for the help.

How often does you feel like the instruction manual could use a little more information? Sometimes it seems like FFR uses this site as an excuse not to update and improve the manual.

·
drmcat
596 Posts
Pipe trick works well. I clamped the axle shaft in a vice and beat on the pipe with a 5lb sledge instead of chipping my concrete floor.

I stopped using the manual the first week. Text is terrible, pics are worse.

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
I tried the BFH, and the pipe drop. Neither worked well, and it made a huge mess.

I took them over to the local machine shop. For $10 they pressed them out for me. Took about 10 minutes.

·
iBuild
5,824 Posts
Pipe worked great for me, no problems at all. I also put the whole axle into a big trash bag when doing the pipe method to try to keep the grease down.

-Scott

1 - 12 of 12 Posts