Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size hole do you drill. Let's say the toggle requies a 1/2 inch hole. How much larger do you drill to get the padding and dash cover thru and still fit the toggle back thru. Since the toggles slide in from the back (not the front like the gauges and lights. THEY KEEP PUSHING THE LEATHER BACK OUT OF THE HOLE? I also find if the hole is big enough to fit the toggle thru cleanly, the nut/ring doesn't tighten down properly, It pulls too far into the hole or wrinkles the leather? What's the secret?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,767 Posts
The secret for me was to drill the holes at a half inch, use a small round file to open it out if you need to, hold the screw and/or washer and push the switch in through the back turning the switch itself until it is as tight as you want it.
Steve

·
Premium Member
10,650 Posts
I would drill the holes tight (1/2"), then trim the leather flush with the edges of the hole. The retaining nut will trim out the leather and hold it in place. When you install the switches, turn the switch the final 1/8 turn while holding the nut to tighten it. That will keep the leather from twisting.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Stainless or chrome washer slightly larger than the ring nut would do the job w/o (IMHO) looking bad.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Man..after I just made some on the lathe... Great idea. Ace sells them stainless steel, or chrome plated. They may even have aluminum.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,159 Posts
I'm trying to find "ACE". Is that the whole name or do you have a web site by chance? Thanks in advance.

·
2,746 Posts
Ace Hardware maybe?

·
Banned
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks,
I went to a local Ace hardware. they have the ss washers w/ 1/2 inch hole, but the washers are 1 1 1/2 across. were you able to find any smaller with 1/2 hole. they also have a finish washer which I think would look really nice. but can't find one quite big enough.
thanks for all the great ideas.

·
Junior Charter Member
537 Posts
I used stainless bushings which have a smaller od than regular washers. I picked mine up at Tractor Supply Company.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts