Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the FFR 4170 up and running for about three months. In that time I've had it up to temperature maybe three or four times. Each time the new 16 Lbs radiator cap (not Moroso) has leaked. At first a great deal of water sprayed out. On successive attempts I had bent the tabs on the side of the cap which helped to a good extent. I'm using a Moroso filler tee mounted in the horizontal tube at the top/front of the motor. Is there an easy fix, has anyone experienced this problem? Does it have anything to do with air trapped in the cooling system? Of course and unfortunately I have a Highway Patrol safety inspection on Tuesday (steam coming out from under the hood would not be a good start). So far on the shake out this is the only problem I haven't been able to solve!!!!

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
The Moroso is a cast part and many times the top is not flat so the seal does not work.

Options:
1. File flat so seal works;
2. Replace with another; or
3. Change brands on the T-filler.

You do have an expansion tank, right?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Larry, thanks for the reply. I'll try your suggestions. I have a donner expansion tank on the side of the donner radiator. The expansion tank tube runs to the filler neck on the radiator which has a 16 Lbs cap on it. Does the expansion tank tube have to run to the Moroso filler tee?
Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Larry,
I understand, I did however seal the expansion tube connection on the Moroso tee. Should I unplug the tube connection at the Moroso and run a tube that tees into the expansion tank tube near the expansion tank?

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Unfortunately, the Moroso part has a cast body only. The actual neck is a flimsy aluminum stamping that is easily distorted. Secondly, plug the overflow fitting at the radiator and use the one on the T-filler (if you can get it to seal properly). The problem is that although either overflow will work as far as releasing and recovering coolant, only the uppermost one will allow any air to escape the system (which is a gradual process). Also check the recent posts for some in-depth discussions of this problem.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Not as long as they both seal okay. The plugged overflow on the radiator will prevent any coolant from leaving via that route. The overflow from the POS T-filler has to go to the expansion tank (bottom connection). The best bet is to seal the rad opening with a rubber expansion plug, but the cap will do in a pinch.

·
Justa Member
1,225 Posts
I have the exact same set-up as FFR4FUN. Stock expansion tank (hooked to radiator), stock Rad, Moroso t-fill (overfill not plumbed to anything) in the same spot.
Only thing different is that I am running a 16lb cap at the radiator and a 20lb cap at the T. My thought is when the system expands the 16 will give way well before the 20 every gets a chance. It has worked so far no problems. Am I missing something?
thanks for help
OJ

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
You're not missing anything. You just got lucky when you filled the system that you got most of the air out. Your setup will work fine, it's just not the easiest configuration to use if the usual gremlins appear. You now have an extra cap with it's temperamental check valve vent that can give you some grief. It's always better to minimize the potential for leaks, so having one cap at the top of the system is better than having two.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Guys, thanks for all of the great input. Here's part of the problem, I finally reached Moroso this morning. Talked to Dave, who was extremely helpful, he told me straight off that they have had problems with some of their filler tees and the aluminum formed top. He's sending a new one no charge, at least after the return of the old POS!!! I'll take Joe's suggestion and run the over flow from the new tee to the bottom of the expansion tank and plug the tube off of the radiator neck. Thanks again - the forum works again!!!

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
If the rad is accessable, you could plug off the entire connection there using a boat drain plug as Joe suggested as an alternative. Then you only have the T-filler connections to deal with.

Some people took their rads to a shop and had the filler welded solid closed using a freeze plug.

Not essential, but might be future insurance against the cooling "gemlins".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.