Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have the CobraEarl trunk kit, the body is not on yet (completely painted and ready to go), but the trunk is completely carpeted and I am planning ahead for putting on the body in a week or two. I have holes made for the quickjack bolts, but I can't figure out how to locate the hole in the aluminum for the latch pin (or if there even is a hole) and on top of that, I can't figure out how I'm going to secure the pin once I locate it. Is there a hole in the aluminum piece for the latch pin? Is the hole in the frame threaded? How do you secure the latch pin? There is no room with the trunk kit in place to get a nut in there. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
I don't have the Earl's kit, I made my own and ran into the same problem. First, make sure the hole in the outer aluminum,(next to the body) is inline with the tab that's welded to the frame. Mine wasn't, so I had to move it over about 1/8". I'll use a stainless washer to hide the ovaled out hole. After the outer hole and the frame tab are aligned, you will need to mark the hole alignment on the inner aluminum trunk wall. I used the long screw, and hit it with a hammer to make a dent in the inner trunk wall. This is the part you won't like: Cut a hole in the inner aluminum large enough to insert a deep well socket, so you can attach a nut to the long screw from the inside. Put a little blue locktite on the nut so it won't vibrate loose. It would have been so easy if the frame hole was threaded. John

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts
A long machine screw goes thru the body, thru a metal tube that spans the distance between the body and the aluminum, and then thru 3/4" tube behind the aluminum. On Naga, I've added a rubber hose over the tube and the machine screw. The rubber hose took all the play out of the latch hook. Softened the attachment too.
There's a little plastic cap that hides the head of the machine screw so you can't see it. The end sticking out thru the 3/4 frame tube has a washer and a nylock nut on it.

HTH!

d

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got it!! Thanks, guys.

·
Premium Member
18,134 Posts
Yes, that's how it goes. From FFR, you reach up under the body and secure the machine screw with a lock nut. But when you add the trunk kit, you can't get up there. So you have to drill a hole in the alum that forms the drop trunk wall. I think I used a 1/2" hole saw.

I believe that's part of the instructions and there's a picture of it on the CD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts