1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Junior Charter Member
2,871 Posts
If you can't get to a place to try several brands on, I recommend that you read reviews and get down to three or four and then order them all from somewhere with a good return policy. The fit will be wildly different on each brand.

I tried Simpson, G-Force, and Bell. I ended up with the Simpson.

·
Not a waxer
11,591 Posts
Just like shoes you really need to try them on to determine what fits right and what size. They aren't all the same; I have two from different manufacturers. One is a large and the other a medium but the same head fits both! Try to find a retailer that stocks a few lines and pay them a visit.

Jeff

·
Registered
605 Posts
Get one with air vents, it gets hot in there. Make sure its rated for autos. Some of the cheaper ones are for motorcycles. They will not be accepted by tech inspectors. I purchased a Pyrotech air flow.

·
Snake Farmer
10,245 Posts
You might be surprised at the variance of weight that helmets can have. A lighter helmet can save you from neck fatigue. They are often the toughest ones, in spite of the lighter weight because of the materials used.
Shop around because they can be expensive..

RacingHelmetGuide.com

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had a student once show up at a track event with a new set of $6k wheels, and a cheap open faced helmet. I asked how he choose the helmet? He told me he looked for the least expensive one as they are all the same. I asked him how he choose the wheels? He told me he got the best, lightest wheels he could find, because the wheels and tires matter. I asked him if I were to hang him from his feet and drop him from five feet onto concrete, would he buy the same helmet? He said he had to think about that.

Pick a helmet proportional to the value of your head. :)

·
Not a waxer
11,591 Posts
...Pick a helmet proportional to the value of your head. :)
And use it properly. A few years ago I was instructing a novice/beginners class and got into a car to do a session with a woman first timer. When I looked over and saw how she had put her helmet on I realized that we really were going to have to begin with the basics:

:wink2:

Jeff

·
Senior Charter Member
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a student once show up at a track event with a new set of $6k wheels, and a cheap open faced helmet. I asked how he choose the helmet? He told me he looked for the least expensive one as they are all the same. I asked him how he choose the wheels? He told me he got the best, lightest wheels he could find, because the wheels and tires matter. I asked him if I were to hang him from his feet and drop him from five feet onto concrete, would he buy the same helmet? He said he had to think about that.

Pick a helmet proportional to the value of your head. :)
I've seen that said before, but I'm not going to buy a $5000 helmet. I'm not driving a million dollar race car at 200mph either.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
IMHO, unless you are a full time racer and need the best, you can find a helmet that will do an admirable job of protecting your noggin for around $200 +/- $40. Very good advice to try some on someplace to see if they are comfortable. Even if they fit your head, some helmets just won't feel comfortable on your head and will be a distraction the whole time you're wearing it- while you have much more important things to be concentrating on.

A used helmet might be a good alternative if you are tight on funds. Many guys buy helmets with dreams of lighting up the track every weekend and wear it once or twice and never wear it again. Just make sure the dating meets the tracks requirements. I think 5 years from manufacture date is the max allowed at most sanctioned tracks.

A word to the wise- most shops that carry helmets hate it when people come in to try on helmets because they are quite aware you are going to try it on and then go buy it on line. One of the reasons so few race shops carry helmets any more. If you can afford it, try to support your local race shop and buy your helmet there or through a race school who will make a few bucks on the helmet and use the money to further the sport. Just my 2 cent's worth.....

Bob

·
Registered
113 Posts
I recently purchased Zamp OPEN FACE with Snell 2010.
I usually buy XL, but Zamp Large was just right. Fits well with sunglasses" temple pieces.
Very happy with it!
Was on track (advanced run group) for an hour this past week and never had an occasion where I "noticed" my helmet.
Being a Simpson/Bell buyer all my life, I had to peel off the Zamp logos for PRIDE's sake...oh well.
NOTE: I went to my local HUGE dirt rack/oval racing outfitter ( Smiley's Racing in Mesquite Texas ) to get the best fitting helmet from all the choices on the display shelves. So try before you buy.
Regards,
Paul

·
Registered
20 Posts
Speaking from years of experience, I would definitely recommend trying on several brands and styles of helmets. I would also stay away from any open-face helmet. Get a quality full-face model. And obviously, DO NOT BUY A USED HELMET! (You'd be surprised at how many people try to skimp on critical safety equipment). I've had some big crashes, and my Impact helmets and HANS devices have saved my ass, big time.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ended up with a Zamp RZ-58 SA2015 helmet. Based on reviews I've read on ZAMP helmets, I ordered one size larger than I thought I'd need and it fits well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts