Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone.

I am writting from Greece, and I am completely new here.
Please let me waste some of your time, by telling you some things about me. I am 35 yo. I am a surgeon and live in Greece. I ve always loved cars, own a honda del sol (2seater targa). Recently i got infected with the ffr roadster. I just love it and keep learning more about it. I would love to build one of those one day. As far as i understand, 3 thing are needed. Time, knowhow and money. Leavign the latter outside of the equation, i lack both the knowledge and the time. Lets say I start the project now with an intention of working during my weekends, I will finish in a couple of years. The thing is, I know nothing (and I mean nothing) about engines and cars. I mean I can change oils but thats about it.
I dont even have a wrench.
I know that in life you can do everything if you set your mind to it, but I wanna be realistic about it. My job does come first (as it should) and I want this as a longrun hobby.
My question is: how do i get about it? How do I get started? What knowledge is there needed and how can i acquire it? Is it something i can do?
I mean if i buy the complete kit, and a brand new engine to go with it (i dont have a donor and its really hard to get one in greece) I am just gonna be looking at the boxes for the years to come?
Sorry for my lengthy post. U know now where the title comes from.
Any (and i mean any) additional info is highly appreciated.
Thanx you all, in advance

·
2,990 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There have been builders with your type of experience that have built these cars. If you enjoy building things this is a great project. If you just want one of these cars the build process sometimes is to long and the interest is lost. There is another option if building is not the object of the game. There are plenty of finished cars for sale (link below) that you can buy for less then it took to build them. Just an option. The majority of the time you will spend more building the car then you will get out of it when it is sold and this does not include your time. Good luck and keep us informed.

Cars for Sale: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18

·
Chief Cook and Bottlewasher
1,396 Posts
Welcome to you from Greece, NY! You'll love this place.

Steve

·
Registered
245 Posts
Maybe a trip to the states to attend the build school would be a good vacation for you. You'll get to be hands on with the building of a roadster from the ground up. Good way to decide if you have the skills to tackle it on your own. Welcome to the madness.

-scott

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your interest.
It is indeed true that the friends of the forum are extremely helpful.
Well truth be told, I am interested in building the car, over weekends lets say, but since i am completely inexperienced i would like the process to be as straightforward as possible. I think there are engines that fit the mk4 that come with a drivetrain. I guess that means that I wont have major compatibility issues, right?
Does the kit come with a manual that assumes you have certain skills or knowledge, or does it take you step by step (smth like "building a car for idiots")?
If i buy the complete mk4, along with a EFI engine (that includes wiring, sensors etc) how long would the process take, approximately?
Thanx you all.

·
FFR Cobra Craftsman
995 Posts
Hello, and welcome. If at all possible you should attend the build school in Michigan. I can assure you that this will address all of your concerns. FFR even gives you a rebate when you buy a kit. There is no doubt that you can do this, many have with no experience. The build school assembles a complete kit in 3 days with a basic tool set from Sears, no air, no power, just a cordless drill and a basic tool set. Good Luck and I hope that helped.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read and saw a video on youtube about the 3-day course.
Indeed very interesting. But the cost of the course+tickets (no less than 1000 euros) + stay expences is too much.
I found out that there is a company in Holland (hennessey performance) that imports ffr roadster. Visiting their factory is more realistic.

·
Registered
135 Posts
For what it's worth....buying a "completed" car will still give you plenty of opportunity to build on your car. I own a Levy racing built MKI and I have spent many hours on the car making it my own and upgrading for my needs (fixed back race seats, new race radiator, changing out track pads, altering this and that, etc). Like you I'm in medicine as a physiotherapist and I own my own practice keeping me very busy. Buying a professionaly built car that I can make my own over time made much more since.
Just my .02
Jim

·
Cobraholic
1,073 Posts
I'm an optometrist and new virtually nothing about cars when I started. It's taken me 1.5 years to get on the road, but haven't even started the bodywork yet.

I rebuilt my engine and worked on the car at the same time. Save yourself the hassle and buy a crate motor...it will go a lot faster.

You will be able to build it, but you have to have patience and a little ingenuity sometimes to make things work. And you will surely be asking lots of questions on this forum, or at least reading through old threads. You will also have to buy quite a few tools if you haven't worked on cars before.

The manual that comes with the complete kit is not very thorough and at times gives bad information, depending on which edition of kit you are building. You can actually download it from FFR's website for $10.

Keep in mind this car will not be a "luxury ride" like your daily driver. Think of it like a powerful go-cart you get to drive on the street. It's loud, hot, and hard to control, but oh what fun :)

Joe

·
Super Moderator
29,401 Posts
Welcome aboard!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I guess its time for me to start asking all the stupid questions.
(I guess the equivalent would be someone coming up to me and saying: "I want to start operating. Do I need a scapel, and is there any blood involved?". But please bear with me.)

Assuming i dont have to strip a donor, just work on the kit, what tools will I need? I keep going through the discussions and all sorts of equipment is mentioned. (and it is all greek to me). I guess i will need wrenches and rachets, something to drill and to cut metal, right?
I also see that all different sized bolts are mentioned. Does the "complete" kit come with bolts as well? I mean we use mm and cm (I think that is called metric or smth) here in greece and the inches give me a hard time to comprehent.
I could use some info on that.
With all these newbie questions, should i continue with the thread here at the intro section, or should i post somewhere else?
Thank you all.

·
Cobraholic
1,073 Posts
Most commonly used tools would be...
1. Ratchet & sockets in metrics and SAE
2. A good, powerful drill
3. Bench Vise
4. Mallet/hammer
5. Rivet Gun
6. Clecos and cleco wrench
7. Hacksaw
8. Screwdrivers
9. Wrenches (long and stubby) in metric and SAE
10. Pliers
11. Vise Grips
12. Light on extension cord for when working under car

These are the basics, but I'm sure I missed something.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanx a lot jtart2.
I actually looked them up on the internet. They shouldn't be too hard to find, or to operate. Actually youtube has some nice videos.
Althought buying everything needed, from point a could get costly.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Roger

·
Junior Charter Member
5,413 Posts
You will also need to get a torque wrench. For a total set of tools needed you are looking at less than a $1000.00. If you want to do modifications you will want a welder and some metal shaping tools.

Having said that, if you work every weekend you will be done within a year. I am assuming as a surgeon you are detail oriented, organized and methodical. If that's the case you will have a fine build. The rest is knowledge and we are all here to help with that. The one thing I strongly caution is that getting a cut or a busted knuckle will happen. Always wear gloves. I wouldn't want to see you cut yourself and be out of work for a week.

My last bit of advice is 1) buy the manual and you will see how well it explains things. You will not understand everything. 2) Read this forum everyday. It will teach you a lot and you will be able to formulate exactly what you want in your car.

Chris

·
The Greek
3,260 Posts
Καλώς τον!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts