Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a (sort of) quick introduction:

Originally from Summerville, SC (just outside of Charleston). Lived there my whole life, from birth until I graduated high-school and went into the Navy.

I went to bootcamp in Great Lakes, IL, near Chicago, in February of 2000. Then I got to come home to Goose Creek, SC (also just outside of Charleston) for about a year and a half to go to the Navy's Nuclear A-School, Power School, and Prototype Training, to learn how to be a Nuclear Electronics Technician, and to learn how to operate nuclear reactors.

Then I got stationed in Norfolk, VA, on the U.S.S. Enterprise (CVN-65) from December 2001 to January 2006, when I'd had enough, and left the Navy. I did my six years I was obligated for, and was Honorably Discharged.

I managed to find a job working in Operations at a nuclear plant in South-Eastern Alabama, and moved 500 miles away from my hometown in Summerville, SC to Dothan, AL, and I've been here since March of 2006.

I've always LOVED AC Shelby Cobras, ever since I first saw one back in the 90's. I quickly discovered Factory Five Racing, and decided I had to have my own Cobra. Throughout my high-school and Navy days, I never had the time or money to take on such a serious project, but now that I'm settled in to a more permanent and lucrative career, it's time. I now have a job that pays well enough that I can do this, and I've waited far too long to build my Cobra.

So I started seriously looking into buying one, looking at the different options, getting a quote from FFR, etc. I bought a Mk IV build manual and read through it, page by page, to see what I was getting into. I started looking into engine builders and stuff, and just generally started planning it all out.

As luck would have it, I ended up getting in contact with a member on the Factory Five Forums, who lived about an hour and a half away, who had a Mk IV kit he was looking to sell, FFR8000. He had the complete kit, and had every major part except for engine, transmission, and rear end/rear brakes. Almost all of the body panels had been drilled, siliconed, and riveted. All the major wiring had been done. Most of the dash had been put together. Pedals were mounted. Brake lines run. Front suspension and brakes were complete. And he was willing to sell it at far below what it would cost me to buy the same thing from FFR, so I lucked out, and we made a deal.

Now FFR8000 is sitting in my garage, waiting to be finished. So much of the work is done already, but there's still so much to do. It's going to be a fun adventure, and I can't wait. The only part I'm nervous about is the fiberglass bodywork and painting. I think I can maybe handle the bodywork, but I'm definitely not going to attempt to paint this thing myself. I'd actually prefer finding a professional, hopefully close by, to just handle all of the body fitting, fiberglass work, and paint for me.

Well, this is probably way more than anyone will really care to know about me. I am not the most active person on forums, but I will definitely be checking in from time to time, and probably asking some really stupid questions. I look forward to hopefully getting to know some of you guys. And if anyone lives near the Dothan, AL area, hit me up.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Welcome, Adam! Thanks for your service.

I had the pleasure of meeting Adam. He's a car and bike guy and fits right in with this crowd.

Now that we know where nuc came from, keep the pyro part away from the nuc part, ok? :)

Looking forward to seeing that MkIV on the road.

Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now that we know where nuc came from, keep the pyro part away from the nuc part, ok? :)
Ha ha, yes...funny story (not really)...

pyronuc is a screen name I've used since back in...2000...maybe? Back then I had a paid MSN dial-up account, or was setting one up anyway, and I was trying to come up with a unique name. Everything I kept trying wanted me to add numbers to it, because it was taken. Since I was in training to be a Navy "Nuke" at the time, I started working from that. I plugged in "pyronuc" and it worked like a charm. Since then, any forum or anything else I've registered on, that name has been wide open and no one else (that I know of) is using it. So, I've just kind of gotten used to using it, and it's worked everywhere I've tried it, so it's just kind of stuck over the years.

But yeah...fire...and nuclear stuff...definitely not a good mix. :yes:

·
15,282 Posts
Welcome to the gang. You're located very close to our friend Wayne Presley, in Enterprise. If you get stumped during the build, or need some top-notch dyno tuning, or want some very cool parts for your car (pun fully intended), he's a go-to guy.

Cheers, John

·
Junior Charter Member
2,087 Posts
I was just in Dothan for Thanksgiving. My wife is from there and her family has a farm in Gordon. We met while I was at Rucker for flight school. You being a nuke guy probably know where Gordon is. Welcome to the FFR family!

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Welcome ! I have family that live in the Ozark area. Roger

1 - 6 of 6 Posts