Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to everyone. I'm in the planning stage of a MkIII kit (will probably order next fall) and was looking for input from guys (and gals) as to what options are "have to have" and ones to stay away from. I'm planning to build a sunny day driver with a small block; still haven't decided about which rear end to get or anyother major options. My budget is going to be about 25K to be on the road and smiling. I feel pretty comfortable doing everything myself except for paint and body which I will send to my familie's Studebaker restoration shop. Thanks in advance for all the input.

Steve

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
First thing first, if you want to get your car done within your budget, stay away from this Forum!!! Too much good ideas and too much guys giving you exactlly what you are looking for that makes you spend a little more each time!!

I ordered a basic kit with no option. First thing to decide is which donor you want to use (I assume that your are going the donor route givin the budget)

Get familiar with this forum and do searches, you will find answers to all your questions, if you don't you post!

·
he who lives by the sword. gets shot by those who
2,847 Posts
Steve,
I'm in the same boat basically, I have been scrounging parts for the last six months and have almost every donor part needed. I stumbled across a 91' SC t-bird at a local Base salvage yard (I'm in the Navy) on a Army base here in Hawaii, I got the complete IRS rear end for $125.00! the entire wiring harness front dash and rear harnesses for another $28.00! I bought a 91 LX 'stang for $500.00 got the drive train (engine and trans) and sold the body shell for $300.00 not bad for a days work. The car didn't have a MAF EFI system, so I asked one of the forum members ("Mustang Medic" Chuck Field. He got me the entire MAF harness and computer for $150.00 plus shipping, not bad as I would have spent close to $100 finding a good 5spd computer anyway.A friend gave me a set of lower control arms,I got a brandnew Ford Motorsports flywheel with the car I bought with a new clutch & throw out bearing. So, If you buy a little at a time, or when the deal is just too good to pass up, it won't cost you near as much up front when you order your kit. I am looking at the same time frame you are, but mine might have to wait a couple months longer, I am retiring from the Navy in October of 2006, this will be my retirement gift to myself for the last twenty years of service to this great country of ours! anyways, as Dakota mentioned, you will see most every kind of Mod or custom touch imaginable here on this forum, you can either save money or worse case, spend lots more by keeping glued to this forum, this is the best group of folks I have ever dealt with, this forum Rocks!!!!!!!!!
Have a great day!
P.S. don't hessitate to ask questions, these guys live for this stuff, not to mention, they love pictures...if you ever get to that point of needing to post pictures here, look up "Picture posting tool" most helful when you need to put a picture of something on here, it helps everyone to see what you are inquiring about.
Ben Smith

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Steve,

I'm in the same boat you are and collecting parts as I see good deals pop up. I think I can still build for close to a donor build by buying parts at the right prices and not having to deal with a donor in my yard while I get ready to order my kit. (I'm sure the neighbors appreciate it also)

However, the reality is that no normal human being I've seen can read this forum and have the self control to do a "normal" build. You will find things here that are just too good to pass up, but with a little will power you can do it. Especially since you have somebody to save you some money on paint and bodywork.

Be strong, think budget, budget, budget and shop the classified ads here and on a couple other sites where mustang items are sold. You'll find some really great deals and great guys to do business with- for the most part. I've learned to stay away from e-bay for the most part as there are very few real deals to be had and lots of rip offs going on these days.

You've already made the best first move- posting on this forum. I doubt you will have a question that can't be answered on this forum. Just remember, there are no dumb questions- just really frustrating installations if you don't ask!
- Bob

·
FFCobra Fanatic
708 Posts
Hi Steve and welcome,

You asked for must haves. I would recommend the 3-link. If you're going to do anything more than drive to the Ice Cream shop (and you will) you'll begin to hate the stock set up. Sooner or later you'll want to try an auto-cross event or try your hand at a performance school and you'll appreciate the link system then.

Dana

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input and the welcome guys!
Ben, looking forward to getting out? I did 12 years in Army aviation before I got out and at times I miss it but other times I don't. Do you have any SH-60 experience?
BS, can you give me some links to those other sites you mentioned?
Dana, yeah I am currently running a Neon ACR in STS in the local autocross events so I will definately be out there. Is the stock setup really that bad?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
636 Posts
Welcome to the forum Steve.
If you want to stick to a budget of 25k you need to stay close to the donor concept as you can.Its easy to get excited about all the goodies that are available for these cars.If you do decide to ad some options shop around. Many other venders have parts specificly for our cars.
I am not building with a doner and will be around 35k when its done.But please dont tell my wife I told her I was also spending 25k.

·
Junior Charter Member
625 Posts
Hey Poboy! Welcome. You can do it! I'm frugal (my wife and in-laws say CHEAP!) I have a daughter in an out of state college, tuition is killing me. I built 4242 for right at $18,000 and won Best in Class at the Carquest Auto Show. I did a straight donor build. Bought an 88 GT for $1500, sold the carcass for $200 (picked up no less), had the engine rebuilt, put in a clutch, pp, and release bearing, all new hoses and belts, spark plugs, Ford Racing wires and distributor cap and rotor, new BFG tires with mustang wheels, and a new radiator. I got a great paint job for $3000. I bought the Cobra and Powered by Ford badges, put in a 200 watt stereo, and had the roll bar chromed. My biggest regret is not getting ceramic coated side pipes. And I still want overriders for the front and rear. Maybe Santa Claus will bring some.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
838 Posts
Welcome Steve, I've just started my build, well in fact the car is here, but I have not touched it yet -- still working on the donor parts. Anytime you want to have a look, let me know.

Its also worth a drive over to Sstarting Line (Bob Kay) just North of Atlanta, he has an FFR showroom of sorts and can give you some useful tips.

Tony

·
Registered
159 Posts
well if I can ever find the rearend I am looking for maybe I can get started on mine, and keep the price down too. right now I think I have spent about 13500 and got about everything I need

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. One thing a lot of people like is the IRS rear suspension. Nice street ride. Many ways to skin a cat, but on a budget, this might be possible:

12,000 Basic Kit classic seats
02,500 IRS option*
01,600 Pin drive wheels Trigo or Vintage
00,400 GY tires 295/50x15 & 235/60x15
03,000 Scrounge parts**
01,500 Misc parts***
-------
$21,000 total parts needed
$06,000 paint
$27,000 running

* IRS with "pin drive front tubular lowers"

** EFI 5.0, spindles, T-Bird clip, gas tank, steering rack, pedal box, Linciln front rotors, etc.

*** Battery, belts, brake pads, clutch, engine dress, driveline, etc.

Options to consider:
- Wire Diet $400
- Cobra engine $1000 5.0 EFI (1994-95)
- AutoMeter Vintage guages $400
- New radiator $150
- Oil cooler $400
- Flaming River steering rack $400
- Russ Thompson gas pedal $100
- Anodize sheet metal or powder coat $500
- Chrome roll bar $300
- Ceramic sidepipes $500
- Anti-bump-steer kit $350
- Serpent Express enclosed trailer $4000 :rolleyes:

·
2,847 Posts
Steve,
Well, I am happy to be leaving the service, but I really just want to get started on buying my kit and building it, something I want to dedicate my full attention to, and not worry about being deployed ever again..... The closest I ever got to working with Aviation was during flight ops on a Guided Missile Cruiser I was stationed on; we had two SH-60's then, got to fly out of camp Doha on July 4th 2001, that was a trip. I'll miss the camaraderie, but I am soooooo looking forward to starting my build!!!!!
I attended a build party in July for Steve W. in St.Louis, Man was I in heaven! I got to see a MK1 up close and personal! If you can, I highly recommend asking around for anyone local that is having a build party, even if you had to drive an hour or two,it would be worth it. I drove 65 miles each way on Saturday and Sunday, took 57 Megs worth of Pictures (didn't want to miss anything mind you) My only regret was that I couldn't stay long enough to hear the car fire up! We did get it to a "Roller" stage though. Met some awesome people, who share a common goal, bringing a Cobra to life! Tom Keiser said it best at the build party "Once you enter this Garage, your'e one of us!" Same goes for this forum, now, your'e one of us!!!!! Enjoy and keep up asking questions, that's the best way to learn, I have allways been a chevy nut, Camaros,Iv'e had just about every year, except the latest models, anyway, once you look into Insurance, your Jaw is going to hit the floor.... the premiums are cheaper than what I paid for my 86 Iroc Z every Year!!!!!!!
Since you have to get a state assigned VIN number, most insurance companies don't have a clue what you have under the hood, so you can build it to your hearts content! Some states have new legislation that they are pushing to make it easier to license(smog exempt) and even titled as a 65' Cobra!
Now, the paper work that you maintain for your parts needs to be well documented, reciepts, notarized titles and copies of everything, when you have some time, search "license and registering your Cobra"
there have been numerous posts on this subject. Enjoy and Talk to you later!
Ben

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
e-mail sent

·
2,847 Posts
rkt_snc ,
It seems as if it were just yesterday Ronald Reagan was in office, and I was standing in the Navy Recruiter's office.....Funny thing is, if I didn't get out of the service in 1988, I would have retired last month! Guess that's a mistake I will have to live with everyday for the rest of my life, but at least I am retiring! Most of my friends can't imagine having a job for seven years,and 20+ is un heard of. Have a good one!
Ben

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
Just remember one thing...

A budget and this forum do not go together!

If you hang around here long enough, you will need to throw your budget in the trash. It will be blown in short order. Trust me on this one. :D

·
Been There, Broke That
1,573 Posts
what options are "have to have" and ones to stay away from
Welcome to the forum Steve. Everyone has given great advice so far, here is something else to consider given your budget of around $25,000. There are many options that can easily be added later to an already finished car and then there are those options that are easy to build into your car but much harder to add later.

IRS, or even the 3 link for that matter, are good examples of something that is much more difficult to add later. Same for wipers and a heater. Given all the wiring involved with the gauges, if you are going to upgrade eventually, it is easier to install new gauges during the build rather than pulling your dash apart and rewiring everything.

Lots of other things can be added at a later time, lowering the initial cost of completing the car and getting it on the road. Things like rear coil-overs, tubular front a-arms, Flaming River steering rack, these are all nice to have but you can add them later if you want with little effort.

Last thing to consider, most everything that FFR sells can be bought cheaper from one of the forum vendors who either sell the same thing or something better for less money. Order only those things with the initial kit that you have to have or cant easily buy elsewhere. In this category I would put body cutouts, ceramic coated sidepipes, chroming of rollbars.

Anyhow, good luck with your build and welcome to our world.

Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the input guys! This is exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I also see how hanging around this place is going to impact my budget; I already found a BUNCH of stuff i want to add, first and foremost is the velocity stacks from VCP, man those things are cool. Is anyone running an AC system? What are the pros/cons?

Thanks again!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,120 Posts
I also started with a $25,000 budget....HA! I have quily learned the difference between "needed items for the build" and "man I just have to have one of those....."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts