Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im about to pull the trigger on a new build.

I have a great donor car setup:

1990 Notch
358W
t-4550 trans
sn95 conversion

Everything has a receipt that was done to this car and all done in the last year, motor is fresh with about 6k on it.

Going to order the base kit mid winter so I have it by the break of spring and that should give me enough time to tear apart the donor and replace anything that looks worn.

Not sure if I want to stay with EFI or go carb... I think the easier way is carb, EFI might have too many gremlins along the way with patching in harnesses. Will see when we get to that point.

I have allotted about 2 years build time to make sure everything is up to my standards and the way I want it built. I figure F5 was founded on the donor aspect of things and might as well keep that part alive as well as all of the originals were hand built...

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
Welcome to the club!:)

Sounds like a good donor for your build. Expect to replace some items with new though. Some donor parts, IE; calipers for example, can be used to avoid core charges, if replacing them..

I wouldn't be to worried about going with EFI, it has certain advantages. EFI harness dieting can be left to a pro, if your hesitant to tempt it yourself.
Carb's can be simple, but can also come with their gremlins..Do what you feel most comfortable, for yourself to work with.

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
Welcome aboard!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have a fond love for Spotted Cow beer....to bad I'm to far south....
If you have questions please come to Arkansas and bring spotted cow...I'll answer any questions you have :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a fond love for Spotted Cow beer....to bad I'm to far south....
If you have questions please come to Arkansas and bring spotted cow...I'll answer any questions you have :)
Ahh yes Spotted Cow, excellent beer. Between my friends and I we keep that brewery open.

If you get a chance try and find Sprecher. They also make a great root beer for the kids.

If you want I can send you a gift pack. Not sure how well it would do UPS or FEDEX though

·
Registered
523 Posts
We'll chat :)

We were at Elkhart Lake back in June, and I we tipped alot of cow. I actually came up with two cases about 3 weeks ago (a friend went up to WI).
good stuff for sure.
-Brian

Ahh yes Spotted Cow, excellent beer. Between my friends and I we keep that brewery open.

If you get a chance try and find Sprecher. They also make a great root beer for the kids.

If you want I can send you a gift pack. Not sure how well it would do UPS or FEDEX though

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
Going to pick up donor car #2 tomorrow.

1994 Cobra 66k for miles for $1700, slight hit in rear. Drives straight but needs a ALT soon.
I can't remember exactly why..but for some reason the 94 Stang is not considered the best choice for a donor. Something different about that particular model year..? Maybe someone could chip in as to what the objections about them are..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't remember exactly why..but for some reason the 94 Stang is not considered the best choice for a donor. Something different about that particular model year..? Maybe someone could chip in as to what the objections about them are..
It seems that everything has to do with the wiring harness. I will be converting to carb with the engine so no worries there. Along with the rear axle being a bit wider but I have a conversion kit with new axles already delivered to me.

I figure since the car is actually in fairly good condition a lot can be sold to make up the difference for the price paid, plus $350/ton for scrap near me is also another bonus.

On another note the engine runs good, has a slight exhaust leak from the header, trans shifts very smooth and the rear seems to have been rebuilt, not sure what gearing is in there yet.

Here is a few pics of the donor right after we did a burnout on my road

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
So why did you decide to get a second donor car?

I figured the fresh 358W would be a better choice over the 5.0 from the 94?

·
Not a waxer
12,092 Posts
Not sure what you're showing us in the photo :confused1:

Be aware that '94/'95 5.0 'Stangs with a T5 use a longer trans input shaft and bellhousing which puts the trans farther rearward necessitating a shorter driveshaft.

Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fellow Wisconsinite!

Greetings,

Whereabouts in Wisconsin are you located? I am located in Green Bay. I do not currently have a project but am very interested in a Factory Five build somewhere in the near future and am currently looking around for a suitable donor Mustang once I am able to sell my current toy and then plan to use the Mustang as my toy while I plan the build!

Good luck with your build and I look forward to following along with your progress.

Go Pack Go!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Greetings,

Whereabouts in Wisconsin are you located? I am located in Green Bay. I do not currently have a project but am very interested in a Factory Five build somewhere in the near future and am currently looking around for a suitable donor Mustang once I am able to sell my current toy and then plan to use the Mustang as my toy while I plan the build!

Good luck with your build and I look forward to following along with your progress.

Go Pack Go!
Sorry for the late response. Im on the south side of MKE near the airport.

Little update, the donor car is all apart and trying to find time to drop it off at the scrap yard.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.