Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well After getting legal I was very excited about going for my first ride without having to worry about not being legal. First stop was the gas station before I was needing a push.

Car still in body work stage but all in all it looks good and draws attention.

Developed a very harsh vibration within 1 mile of the ride. I had driven the go-cart for about 5 miles with no issues so I was a bit miffed at what it was.

Called North Cobras to talk to some experts. The ideas that could be the cause ranged from lug nuts to pilot bearings and everything in between. Put the car on jack stands and started her up. Put in gear and tried to see if vibration was still there. If so it was not suspension but drive line.. Put it in gear and almost wobbled off the jack stands at 40MPH.. Ouch that wall would have hurt..

Drive shaft ok, Rearend looks ok... Richard at North Cobras asked about the pinion gear nut.. Bought brand new rear from Ford Motorsports that can't be it.. Bull Poop.. Took off the drive shaft and the darn nut was finger tight.. WARNING WARNING never trust brand new parts...

Put back together after tightening the thing to spec and most vibration was gone but as I looked through the tranny tunnel I could see shaking going on..

IDIOT... I looked real close and the tranny was moving... Yup the two bolts that hold it to the fame were loose and the ones on the bellhousing were not so tight..

Tightened those with spec and lock tight and no more vibration... I then spent the last 3 hours going over every nut and bolt onv the car.. Be careful and as stated before do not do the "I'll tighten it up later" mistake. YOU WILL FORGET ONE!

best wishes

joe

·
Registered
810 Posts
I've read this same story enough that I think I'm going to get a marker board and write down every time I don't fully torque/tighten something down.

My luck, I'll forget to write it down!!!! :eek:

I hope you get 'em all tight this time.

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
After 4500 miles, while pulling the gastank to upgrade the fuel pump, I found that the rear gastank strap bolt nuts were only finger tight! :eek:
It does give you pause...

Forrest

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
Write it down:

"I will not tighten later, I'll tighten now."

Thank goodness not much happened. Where the pics?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Congrats Joe,
It's cool seeing someone who not so long ago was posting mid build questions and following there success all the way to a street legal car, that's inspiring. Hope you enjoy it. Yeah what Bill said how about some pics :D

Mike

·
Registered
500 Posts
You got lucky like I did.
I lost the bolts out of the upper aA arms on my first ride at about 70mph, luckily the bolt were inserted from the top or I would have been toast!
Rick

·
3,701 Posts
I used a little dab of red fingernail polish on anything that was critical. That way I know it was torqued

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
John - that is a great suggestion! Does your wife know what you are doing with her nail polish?

Frank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts