Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of my build and wondering how much heat you get out of the behind the dash heater? Would I regret after finishing if I did not put one in? I am planning on heated seats.

·
Premium Member
10,472 Posts
I'm gonna do both.

I've experienced the seat heaters, they work very well.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I am installing both in my roadster...

·
8,356 Posts
Paul, I have the FFR heater, but never put it in; opted for a glove box instead. I drive in all types of our dry weather (6K miles)and don't have any issues. Don't see what real good it would do without a top. The wife does want the seat heaters, so I'll put them in this winter. I did buy her a blanket from www.Solutions.com that plugs into the cig lighter; she likes that. Cheers.

Are you working on the car today? I could drop by and chat?

·
5,470 Posts
I have the heated seats and really like them. I do not like the looks of the heater or the plumbing for them. Depends on what you can drive in. If you have cold weather, but can still drive (no gravel or snow on roads), then maybe the heater would be good. Winter weather in WA = wet, rain, wet, snow, gravel, wet, rain, more wet.

·
Junior Charter Member
431 Posts
I have the seat heaters, Heat/AC combo from Quality Roadsters and a soft top. I figured that way, I have an all-weather car that can be driven in any codition comfortably.

·
Junior Charter Member
431 Posts
I have the seat heaters, Heat/AC combo from Quality Roadsters and a soft top. I figured that way, I have an all-weather car that can be driven in any codition comfortably.

·
Charter Member
3,060 Posts
I did both. If you use the FFMetal firewall, you can get the heater and glovebox in the dash.

I also used the NorthRaceCars defrost plenum with the FFR heater.

The seat heaters are nice because when the wife gets chilly and I am still sweating she can just flick a switch.

·
8,356 Posts
The firewall extension is nice, I've seen them, and as JBQ says, allows for both the G-box and the heater. I was finished before I became aware of this option. Next build, I will probably include both as they do add to the resale value a bit.

·
Unknown
399 Posts
I have both. The under-the-dash heater alone puts out more than enough heat. It has two settings, HIGH and LOW. I've NEVER had to put it on HIGH. The LOW setting keeps the cabin warm.

Even though I have the heated seats also. It just seems like overkill. Unless you have bad blood flow and your butts stays cold all the time.

I also have the roadster top, which I highly recommend.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I would say that if you are going to skip the top, skip the heater. With the top on in the cold (30-40) car is toasty warm. Without the top I don't know the heater is there unless I am sitting still.

BTW I have both a heater and a glove box behind the old standard dash/ firewall, no seat heaters.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
funny you should ask, i just had my first LONG drive here in Southern California. as you probably know, it's been way below average temperatures lately.

anyway, while driving on the freeway with the heat off, the only part of me that was cold was the top of my back behind my shoulders.

go figure - heated seats and a heater won't heat that part of the body!

anyway, to directly answer your question, there is an INSANE amount of heat that comes out of the vintage air heater. it mounts on the passenger side. the passenger gets heat from a door that opens in the heater unit, and there are also two tubes that normally go to the vents, but i have them to the driver footbox.

my legs actually got TOO HOT, so i am going to re-do the heat tubes and have them pointing directly back toward the driver (me.)

the heated seats are really inexpensive and look easy to install, i may add them some day. i imagine they are very helpful when the seat is ALREADY cold and you need to sit in them.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,837 Posts
I've got both without a top. The seat heaters are really great, a must-have, they extend the fall/spring drivability period. I put "eyeballs" on the outlets of the heater so my passenger and I can direct the hot air anywhere we want. I also have the Firewall Forward kit from FFmetal, great deal! It also allowed me to run the plumbing, wiring, and brake lines out of the bottom of the firewall to keep the engine bay tidy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts