Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somewhere I read that I should be putting a 1/4" restrictor in the inlet line for my heater (now I can't find it). Does anyone have any more info on that i.e. part #, where do I get it, where does it get installed, etc? Thanks!

[ September 01, 2005, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: ChrisH ]

·
Charter Member
76 Posts
The 1/4" restriction was originally supplied as as police special service part from Ford. The problem is that at speed the water pump can over pressurize the cooling system and lead to a failure of the heater core. Ask me how I know this. What you can do if you can not find the Ford part is just inset your own restrictor. What I did was drill a 1/4" hole in a pipe plug fitting and then tapped the inside of the manifold outlet fitting and screwed the pipe plug in the manifold outlet fitting. Continue the hook up as normal and you will never have a problem. The restrictor still allows plenty of water to flow to provide heat to the passenger legs. My wife thinks it works fine. I will look for the original Ford part if you still think you need it. This was available on the police special Mustangs as well as the Crown Vics.
I used the AN#6 fittings and line to run between the manifold and the heater core. This worked with a 1/8" NPT pipe plug screwed into the 90 degree fitting coming out of the manifold. The #6 hose then allowed me to connect the fittting to the heater core. My first heater core sprang a leak while the car was at speed and created a cloud of steam in the cockpit that got a little scary. Max from Five Star can probably help if you want the original Ford part.
Hope that helps.
Bob
Venom 65

·
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob! I'm going to pm you a couple more q's!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
378 Posts
My 93 GT had the restrictor in the larger of the 2 heater hoses. You can feel it by squezing the hose. I bet you can find one in a bone yard, but for a part that small, it hardly makes the trip worth while.

·
471 Posts
According to the Kirschenbaum 5.0 Tech Manual all the 5.0 Mustang engines since the early '80's had this restrictor in the heater core feed line. The Ford part number for the piece is listed in the book as E7VY-18D358-A. All it is is a slightly tapered sleeve that is inserted into the hose, so fabbing one up should be simple if you can't find the Ford piece. Hope this helps!

·
Charter Member
76 Posts
ChrisH,
Just got back from the FFR Nationals. A great time was had by all. Great job Wayne!!!

The intake manifold is tapped for both 3/8" NPT and 1/2" NPT. Several people make the NPT to AN fittings in both #6 and #8. What I did was use one of the 3/8" NPT holes and the Russell 3/8"NPT to #6 AN adapter. I threaded the inside of the adapter that screws into the manifold with a 1/8"NPT tap and screwed in the 1/8" NPT pipe plug. Then drilled out the restriction size I wanted. (0.250") This technique can be applied to any style of hose connection, either rubber or AN braided SS hose. If you use the stock 1/2" NPT adapter that fits the 3/4' rubber hose then you can still tap the inside of the fitting before screwing it into the manifold. On that one you will probably need the 1/4" NPT tap and a 1/4" NPT pipe plug. You can still drill the pipe plug out after you screw the plug into the fitting to the proper restriction you want. Then just screw the adapter into the manifold and you have a permanent flow restriction no matter how many time you have to replace the hose.
Hope that helps
Bob
Venom 65

1 - 7 of 7 Posts