Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

In doing the cooling system plumbing of my build, one of the things I've been trying to figure out is how to route heater hoses from the firewall to the front of the engine without them laying on top of the engine. This is what I've come up with, thought you all might be interested. Heater hosese will run down the firewall behind the engine, hook up to the back of this plenum, and hoses will hook up at the front and run up behind the alternator to the WP and intake nipple. I made this thing out of hardware store copper pipe and a little flat copper stock and some aluminum for mounting brackets (and some silver solder). Pretty easy to do, I hope this is far enough away from the headers to avoid heat issues. Guess I'll see.

Sunday EDIT:

All done, it worked pretty much as planned. During the commission of this job I dropped one little stainless screw and washer SO many times that I nearly threw a screwdriver through the side of my daily driver. Arrgghh!

Here are the lines all hooked up.

Comments welcome as always.

Chris.

[ July 15, 2007, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Cwood8656 ]

·
Senior Charter Member
1,028 Posts
Very slick idea Chris. I like it. Watch out combining copper and aluminum though. They are very far apart on the galvanic scale and the aluminum will corrode quickly when in direct contact.

How will you connect the hoses to the copper pipe? Or will you use the pipe as a conduit and just run the hoses through it.

John Minton FFR4174

·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi John,

The copper pipe is soldered to the copper plate with the curved ends and then the whole shebang is riveted to an aluminum bracket. I hadn't thought of the galvanic corrosion issue, guess I'll just see what happens at this point. The copper pipe is 5/8" OD so heater hose will slide right on, I'll slide the hose on there at least a couple of inches deep and put on two clamps each. Should hold OK.

CW

·
Premium Member
9,693 Posts
I initially tried the same heater hose routing, but ran into problems routing the hose up behind the alternator. On my engine, there is very little room between the alternator and the head and intake manifold. So I figured that if I couldn't hide them, I would bling them out. :D Used thinwall stainless tubing, A/N fittings and steel braid, and ran the hoses in the factory configuration. John

·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought to go the bling route at first, but the stuff I bought was the stainless corrigated hose, and the look just didn't match my vision for the final car. Funny, I have seen the same corrigated hose on others cars and really liked it, beats me.. I'm lucky and can route the heater hoses as well as the fuel line with billet filter back between the WP and the alternator. Not hidden, but being black hose, not too visible.

CW

·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ttt, with edits

CW

·
master craftsman
5,597 Posts
I remeber a previous post about your routing of the plumbing to the valve thing on the firewall and how it looked. opinions on how it looked and so forth. It occurs to me from looking at your under engine routing of the heater lines that you could of relocated the valve thingy down where you have fab'd the 2 copper lines. Then you would just have the 2 lines coming out of the firewall clean...............Steven

·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steven, you're right, and I did think about that, but I had already drilled the holes in the firewall, so left that in place. Maybe on the next car.....

CW

·
Registered
416 Posts
Great idea. I ran mine in the same location, but the bars make a lot of sense. Looks like another thing to add to my last of mods later on.

·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Virtual,

Have you had any issues with header heat?

Chris.

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Chris,

Just wondering, couldn't you have mounted the heater control valve on the inside of the firewall?

Steve

·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Steve,

I don't have the firewall forward kit, if I were doing this again I would for sure have that. There just isn't room, I have the entire heater assembly in there including squirell cage. Back of my dash looks like the inside of a new sardine can.

CW

·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kevin,

I'm using the FFR/Hooker 4x4 headers.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Thanks. I have shorties and think they hug the block a bit more. They may make your fabulous design a moot point.

·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kevin,

The pipes and hoses are really pretty low in the car, I'd be happy to take some measurments for you if you were interested to see if this idea could be adapted to your setup.

Chris.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts