Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Living Large
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would rather go with heated seats instead of a heater assembly, (cleaner install) Does anyone have any experience with either set up or both?

Thanks!
Trent

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts
IMHO and my experience with open British Sports Cars, a heater's not very effective in an open car. I carry a stadium blanket in Naga for the top of my legs during cold weather runs.
I'd think the heated seats would be better because the heat's not blowing out.
I plan to install a tonneau split down the middle where I can leave the pass side on when I drive. I know that helps in our Austin Healy.

d

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
2,203 Posts
I have both. My wife is cold when it's 75 degrees out, so warmth is her primary concern. The heater blows right in her lap. I'm even rigging-up a hose that she can plug into the system and direct air wherever she wants it. If that's not enough I'll be buying her a heated vest!

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
I saw a 12v heated throw blanket at an auto parts store the other day that might help.

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts

·
15,282 Posts
You can also buy "polarfleece" vests that are wired for 12V heat. Someone gave me one back when I had a BMW roadster. Put on the vest, plug it into the cigarette lighter, drop the top. It was effective. In that car, though, I had heated sports seats and it was redundant. I wound up giving it away or something.

Personally, I'd go with heated seats. (I have netiher heated seats nor a heater in my FFR, but look where I live...) As mentioned, the heat doesn't blow out -- it is transmitted very efficiently to your body. I hear the CobraHeat kit is reasonably easy to install and won't overload an electrical system -- get in touch with them.

Cheers, John

·
Charter Member
2,132 Posts
I started with the heater but it was off set to the passenger, not sure how well it worked over there. added seat heaters and a ducted a vent to my side and used a VW van deflector. I recommend both.

·
he who lives by the sword. gets shot by those who
2,847 Posts
Trent,
your PM box is full, here's my reply:

KOA is a Hawaiian Hardwood, Cocobolo is a African hardwood and the two toned one is made up of paudauk and I can't remember what other wood, otherwise they are the names or type of pens. Don't forget to remove the nub on the tip or they won't write!!! most of these pens take a "Parker brothers" or "Cross" refills. Enjoy!
Ben
p.s. sorry this took so long!

·
246 Posts
I am doing both. A little warmth in the car will significantly increase the amount of top top weather in this part of the country....probably only 3 months that are too cold with both.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,837 Posts
I'm doing both, you'd be surprised how much difference a heater will make, even in a convertible with the top down. I'm also installing defroster ducts to have a bit of warm air blowing on the my face when it's cold out.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
908 Posts
I put in just seat heaters. Very easy to install. If it's too cold without a regular heater you can stay home, get cold, wear more clothes or use one of the other suggestions here.

If I planned on getting a top I think a heater/defroster would be a smart addition since it's more of an all weather car at that point.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,600 Posts
Just finished installing my manual heater valve and took it out yesterday. It was 28* when I left and very cloudy all day. I was toasty with my APE top and only wore a T-shirt and a long sleeve shirt while driving.
Moving from South Fla. to TN. sure made me finish the top and fix the heater!
Take care,
Ron

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,626 Posts
I have both. The heater is the southern rods heater with the hoses entering the firewall at the end of the two inch firewall extension. In short the front of the firewall gives no indication that there is a heater there.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,526 Posts
Got both also. Heater does great on the legs, and makes a nice hand warmer. Heated seats keep the torso warm. With your location, you'll want both if you want to drive more than a few months a year. I drive mine regularly in 20-30°F weather.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
....well there goes some more money. I'm ordering my seat heaters this weekend.

I have to stay away from this Forum.

·
3,645 Posts
Hi All-
someone PM'd me about power requirements. Heaters draw 3.5 amps (per seat)

Thx
NFS

1 - 20 of 20 Posts