Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I recommend doing this before you put the body and headers on permanently I still wanted to get these in.
Along the way I picked up two 1/8” thick aluminum plates that where almost perfect size for the heat shields. My bender is not heavy duty enough so I had to get a local shop take care of that.
Used the heat insulation that I used on the rest of the car too, and the grey BBQ paint I used on the foot boxes. This will create a barrier to keep the foot boxes cooler. I started with a bolt/locknut set up for the passenger side but that was almost impossible for the driver side so used rivnuts there. If I had to do it again I probably would use rivnuts on both.
Drivers side is drying and will get installed tomorrow.

John

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
Nicely done!

BTW, your pics give us some peeks at some other interesting details on your build. Would you consider doing a walk-around video some time?

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nicely done!

BTW, your pics give us some peeks at some other interesting details on your build. Would you consider doing a walk-around video some time?
Glenn,

Yes that is part of the plan at some point.
Have to get some damage repaired before that though.
The driver pontoon got crushed when the wind blew the hood closed in my garage of all places a while ago. Didn’t think I needed to worry about that inside...
Waiting for the painter to have an opening.

John

·
Senior Charter Member
860 Posts
John, Heat shields look great! bummer on the damage from the hood, I'm paranoid about that, I bought one of these on amazon to prevent it from happening.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John, Heat shields look great! bummer on the damage from the hood, I'm paranoid about that, I bought one of these on amazon to prevent it from happening.
Stupid thing is I normally keep a clamp on it for that reason, but of course not that day.

Me think I will hop on the Amazon train to get one of those.
They do not mar the piston?

Thanks for the tip

John

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the drivers side done too.
Had the top bend under a 90 degree angle in the hopes that it will force the hot air out of the side vent opening and into the trans tunnel.

John

Attachments

·
Senior Charter Member
2,970 Posts
Nicely done. I made similar ones out of polished stainless steel and I think it makes a huge difference to heat transfer with the air gap.

Worth the effort.

Marc

·
Senior Charter Member
860 Posts
John,no maring it’s got a brass tip.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Found it on Amazon. “AES Industries 33285 Hood and Trunk Lift Support Clamp with Non-Scratching Brass Core and Aluminum Body”

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found it on Amazon. “AES Industries 33285 Hood and Trunk Lift Support Clamp with Non-Scratching Brass Core and Aluminum Body”
Ordered, Thanks Glenn

1 - 11 of 11 Posts