Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
BLUE.II
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1989 5.0 EFI

should I go for the Ford Racing GT-40X (X303's) or the Edelbrock Performer 60379?

They appear to be basically identical, both being bolt-on's.

Thanks

Doug

·
BLUE.II
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Based on the write-ups, I could not tell if either of them have Heli Coils.

It looks like the Edelbrock heads will give a slightly higher compression ratio, but i'm more concerned with how well they will fit onto my engine without having to make a bunch of little mods.

Doug

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,075 Posts
My Edelbrock Per. heads(sm valves) bolted on my '89 5.0 just fine & they(heads) are great!

HTH
Butch

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
I use and like the eldo heads. heli coils are installed where needed. For the cost and performance they give they are good heads. All the accesorys will bolt up to them same as with a stock head so no worry's there. I did use the larger valve rpm heads so piston cutting was needed.

·
5,559 Posts
I think you'll find most will tell you that the Edelbrock heads are much better quality wise, for around the same cost, which is why I went with them myself. The machining and materials used are top notch, and they bolt right up with no mods needed unless, like Hind Sight mentioned, you opt for the bigger valved version. I went with the 6037 heads on mine, and got the optional machined o-ring seats. It makes the gaskets cost twice as much, but gives some added insurance against blowing a head gasket if you decide to add more power from a blower, or nitrous down the road. The o-ringing was a no cost option when I bought mine, other than the extra cost of the special wire-ring Felpro gaskets.

Brian

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,315 Posts
MM&FF did a head-to-head comparison about 2 years ago -- if you check them out online you can see the performance results. I seem to remember the Performer's being a step up from the X303's performance wise...

-SB

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Is there a reason the GT 40 X305 (58cc) heads are never mentioned? Mine were installed for open track events 5 years ago because I always thought extra compression makes power.

I ditched the EFI and kept the E cam. With an RPM Performer, 650 Holley DP and Dura-Spark ignition this engine keeps getting better.

It's said AFRs are the best and would be my choice when the time comes.

Roger

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.