Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked for a topic on this and didn't find one. I would like to wire my headlights to a SPDT or DPDT switch and need a diagram. My thoughts were middle off, down lights, up brights. I know I'll need a couple of relays. Can someone help with a diagram?

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric,
That's an idea, although I already have my dash finished and no additional toggle switch leftover :(
I was planning on just having the driving/parking lights always on and not switched in any way.
Is there a electrical reason why you couldn' put the lows and highs on the same switch?

Brian

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,996 Posts
None that I know of (others might have a different opinion) but you will have to toggle through the off to go from low to high beam. I had planed on haveing extra toggles in my Coupe just for circuits that I have not planned on for yet. Haveing the lights always on (tail and park) might cause you some problems if you need to work on the car without it running with the key on.

·
Forum Fanatic
363 Posts
Brian,

Here is another diagram I made and used for my car :

FYI I have a 1989 mustang harness. If you don't want the flash to pass feature, you can remove the left side of the diagram. I personnaly use a BMW turn signal unit that I have tweaked, modified ... but that gives me in one stalk :
- Right and left turn signal
- high beam, low beam
- flash to pass
- horn

Geoff.

·
Charter Member
167 Posts
Geoff:

Can you give any more details on your setup with the BMW turn signal?

Tim

·
Forum Fanatic
363 Posts
Tim,

Even if I do not have the exact model number, it is a unit similar to this one :
BMW turn signal on e-bay

I think mine was from a 3 serie and I bought it used (around $10). The key is getting the one with OBC (On Board Computer) in order to wire the horn.

I was looking to have all the major functions (turn signal, headlight, horn) in one stalk and this was the most compact unit I have found that can meet this requirement. That's why I bought it.

It is not self cancelling but I really didn't care. If I want it later on I can hook up an electronic module that will do this function.

But now do not get me wrong, it doesn't fit out of the box. I realy had to think to get it right.

I had to rebend the lever in order to fit the unit without interference with the steering column. I cut the tab that are used in the BMW to mount the unit as they were not convenient at all and made my own braket (which is more an enclosed box) out of fiberglass.

So, yes a lot of work and tryout before getting it right but it fit pretty well and it works. I have not done my final dash and still working out of a wood piece but I will try to get some picture tonight of my temporary setup.

Geoff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts