Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pull type parking/headlight switch, and want to add relays for the high and low beams. Will the diagram below work, or am I missing something?

Thanks

·
Official OLD GUY
3,878 Posts
Another Kevin,

Just make sure that the relays you get don't have 87 and 87a tied together. Some relays will do that so the source applies power to two contacts at once (like both headlights tied to one relay). You gotta make sure 87 is seperate or you'll get backfeed and all elements in the headlight will come on at once.

Doc

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I am starting to understand relays better. If I put my Ohm meter to the 87 and 87a pin and it read zero, I can't use it. If it reads open, it is the right relay to use...am I on the right track?

·
Grand bodger
509 Posts
Hi Kevin,

Pins 87 & 87a will only be shorted on a bad relay. What you need to be careful of is a relay that has 2 pin 87's. They do exist, so check the diagram that will be molded or printed on the relay to make sure it fits your application.

HTH ... Dave

·
Registered
375 Posts
Kevin,
Get all your answers at this web site.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html
I bought my lights from him, got great service, quick answers.

I ran the two relays one for high beam and one for low. You can feel the heat from the lights when you stand in front of the car. There are great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.