Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using the FFR supplied light switch and a painless kit. I have my front and rear parking lights wired to the tailight terminal of the switch along with the instrument lights and the running light function of the headlight. When I pull the switch out to the first position, everything works as advertised.
I have my headllights wired to the headlight terminal. When I pull the switch all the way out, I only get the headlights.
I kinda thought this was a progressive switch in that the full out position of the switch would simply add the headlights to the circuit along with the items illuminated at the first position. Do I have to separately wire the same items to the headlight terminal again? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
No, its not progressive. The front running lights are not on when the headlights are on.

2FAST

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I guess I have to separately wire parking/tails/instrument lights to the headlight terminal as well?

·
3,217 Posts
I used the Painless harness and the Painless headlight switch, along with the diagram from John at My427SC.com. Headlight wires to the headlight terminal and both parking and tail lights connected to the tail terminal. Works just fine, both parking and headlights are on at the same time.

·
4,494 Posts
I don't know the Painless harness, but on the donor harness (diet), the headlight switch is progressive and the front and rear running lights are on when headlights are on.

·
3,217 Posts
According to the note on John's diagram, the fault lies with the Painless headlight switch. It's designed so that the parking lights go out when the headlights come on. That's why he recommends connecting the parking lights to the tail terminal instead of the park terminal. I'll bet that the FFR supplied headlight switch is designed that way too. Heck, it might even be a Painless switch.

·
1,589 Posts
The light switch has two parking light terminals; one is progressive and one is exclusive. If you look at the diagram that came with the switch you will see one terminal is marked with a note that states something about parking lights staying on when the headlights are on. If you connect to the 'parking lights' terminal then your parking lights turn off when the headlights are on.

-Stu

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stu - are you talking about the FFR supplied switch?

·
Charter Member
496 Posts
One problem with the front park ON with headlights, these park/ turn/ tail lights CAN short internally and if they do you loose headlights too, since making this little discovery I allways drive with the fog lights on, I chased a shorted light for two days thinking it was in the headlights 'cause that was the fuse that kept blowing, now I'll never get over thinking about it after dark.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
One problem with the front park ON with headlights, these park/ turn/ tail lights CAN short internally and if they do you loose headlights too
Not if you are using the donor harness. On the donor harness the headlights are powered directly from a fusible link. The parking light circuit power goes through a 15A fuse. If a parking light shorts-out, the fuse will blow, but the headlights will continue to receive power from the fusible link.

·
1,589 Posts
Rebel74,

The switch I got from FFR is an "American Autowire Systems" headlight switch 500341. I bought it on it's own and was not part of a wiring harness. If you want I can fax or mail you a .pdf of the diagram.

-Stu

1 - 11 of 11 Posts