Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the complete kit pull out headlight switch. When I pull it out the parking lights and the gauges lights come on but I dont get any power to the low beams. Are we suppose to still use a separate switch for the low and high beams?

I'm thinking about wiring the Blue HDLT SW DIM SW wire, which has power when the knob is pull out all the way, to the Red Low Beam wire. Has anyone done this? Anyone see an issue? I'm trying to keep the use of other switches and relays to a minimum.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
make sure the spades on the harness connection are in the right orientation

check grounds

and yes you need the high beams on a seperate switch if you are using the early chebby switch(reostat)

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have the complete kit pull out headlight switch. When I pull it out the parking lights and the gauges lights come on but I dont get any power to the low beams. Are we suppose to still use a separate switch for the low and high beams?

I'm thinking about wiring the Blue HDLT SW DIM SW wire, which has power when the knob is pull out all the way, to the Red Low Beam wire. Has anyone done this? Anyone see an issue? I'm trying to keep the use of other switches and relays to a minimum.
I would check the wiring diagram and get out the voltmeter or test light and start at the headlight switch to see where you have power and where you dont.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,846 Posts
Most headlight switches have one lead that comes off and goes to a dimmer switch that then gives you either high or low beams depending on the positon. So yes you need at least two switches for the head light circuit if using the pull out type main switch.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure if I have the 'chebby switch'. I can turn it to dim the gauge lights if that helps. Should that power the low beams?

I checked the Ron Francis diagram. It doesn't show anything going from the switch to the headlight. It shows the Red Low Beam wire going from the headlight to the front harness. The only thing that goes from the switch to the front harness is the Blue HDLT DIM SW and it has power when the knob is all the way out. It's a larger wire and i think it would power the headlights but wanted to see if I'm missing something or if someone else has done it this way.

·
Junior Charter Member
537 Posts
This is the GM switch which came with the kit. Each pole or spade is marked with ID. You can use either headlight spade for your low beams and send the other to your high beam switch.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the GM switch which came with the kit. Each pole or spade is marked with ID. You can use either headlight spade for your low beams and send the other to your high beam switch.

Thanks, where you have the head light at 6 o'clock is where that blue wire is. I'm going to hook that up to the low beam and wire the high beam to a switch.

·
Premium Member
10,650 Posts
That is exactly how you are supposed to wire it. The headlights should only be on when the switch is pulled all the way out and the power from that blue wire goes to the dimmer which then allows you to select high beam or low beam.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.