Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a completed MIII while back with 500 miles and am in the shakedown period. I replaced my headlights with led ones and have found that the lights are coming on in the high beam mode. I have the Russ Thompson turn signal and the relay is cycling and turns the high beam indicator on and off with the relay but not switching between low and high beam. I have researched this and found all the relay problems discussed and my relay is functioning. I'm sure someone will ask with sealed beams did it work I cant lie as I cannot recall trying going from high to low beams my bad. I was wondering if someone else has had problem and its possibly a wiring thing or the leds are messing with the system due to there internal setup. I am not sure sure what harness the builder used but this was a basic kit bought direct from FF. I've looked all over and found the relay problems listed but nothing like I'm having.
Thanks Scott

·
Charter Member
1,032 Posts
When I updated my headlights to LED I went with aftermarket LED bulbs. These are most likely a different solution than you chose. However, when I installed mine the instructions were clear that there is a specific vertical orientation of the bulb. It is necessary to get it corrects for the high and low beams to work properly. Is it possible that this is your issue?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply, I'm running the Anzos and had them in my Loan Star before selling, they are marked so I have them in correct that much I can confirm .lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So a little playing with the wires and if I remove the red wire to 56A leaving the red wire to 56B on the relay and pull the headlight switch I now have low beams coming on, hit the button on turn signal stem they go to bright as long as depressed, let go and lights go out all together, then push switch again low beams come back on and stay on until I turn off at switch. I guess time to pull dash and start to figure out how the car wired since there was no schematic with it when I received. I guess I can ask if FF has a wiring schematic that's digital on line for the mark III's. to see if the wire colors going to relay match up to there drawing before I get to far.

·
The Traveler
3,101 Posts
Go to this location for a download of the wiring IF the build was done with a Ron Francis harness Ron Francis FFR Wiring book

If you have a switch on your turn light then I suspect you have Russ Thompson turn light assembly with it wired for a latching relay from a 1967 VW bug. That was the original way the switching from high beam to low beam was done.
Now there are new interface boxes all built to manage that. Ron Francis has a relay called the RP-3 that cleans up a lot of the wiring complexity and is more reliable. Might want to look into it. Ron Francis High/low beam relay box

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, going to try to dig into dash tomorrow not my favorite thing but will get there.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
Note that the version of the Ron Francis instructions Ralph links is Revision U. That's going to be several iterations AFTER the version for your Mark III. I don't believe much has changed for the headlight circuit, but don't be surprised if the Rev U instructions show connectors that don't match what you see on your car.

John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply's and the wiring book is just what I needed to start sorting it out. I am looking at swapping out the VW relay now to the new relay box offered.

·
Junior Charter Member
205 Posts
When I wired mine I used the VW Latching relay to switch a Hi and a Low beam relay to run the lights. Those 2 relays carry the load not the Latching relay. Those latching relays have proven troublesome so this method only puts a minimal amount of current through that device. Make sure your builder did not do the same thing.

krusty

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the reply, trying to get the dash loose and then locate the high beam brown wires per diagram and see where there tied into the relay or harness fun times! lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts