Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advice about choosing between the stock exaust with the j-pipe or going to the headers,
If i build my 302with the usual, possible stroker,aluminum heads, and so on what kind of loss in performance could i suffer ?

·
Premium Member
18,142 Posts
If you're doing a straight donor build, with maybe a cam change and a little port clean up, stick with the J pipes. They are cheap, easy to fit, and work well at that power level.

If you're going for better heads and matching cam, get the 4x4's. If you're going for a stroker, the J pipe will choke it quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Reality is you can go either way, and the car will be very fast.

Maybe at extreme wide open throttle with superior traction, you might be able to use the extra HP. (on a race track, of course)

Having said that, the 4-into-4's "look" very, very nice and likely worth the extra investment from that value alone. Plus, your know that no HP slipped away from you. (Peace of mind value)

·
Charter Member
349 Posts
I understand you have to use an oil filter relocator with the J pipes. If for no other reason I would go with 4 into 4 to keep from messing with that thing. By the time you install the relocator, fix the leaks, and stay awake at night to worry about when it is going to fail you could have gone with the 4 into 4.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.