Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHICH HEADERS WORK BEST WITH GT 40P HEADS?
CAN THE STOCK INTAKE & STOCK MASS AIR TUBE BE PORTED? ( FUNDS RUNNING LOW). MY SET UP WOULD BE GT40P HEADS, 65MM THROTLE BODY, B303 CAM, 1.6 ROLLERS, 19LBS INJECTORS,( PLUS PORTED STOCK MENTIONED). WHAT KIND OF HP AM I LOOKING AT?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Luis.A,

The stock intake can be ported to flow WAY better. Your main concentration should be in port matching the TB, the upper to the lower, and the intake to the heads, and runner #5. Runner five has a huge dog leg in it do to a intake manifold temperature sensor. IMHO, that sensor is worthless. So I ground right through the boss, and filled the hole with 2 part aluminum epoxy. I then rewired the sensor and left it in the wheel well. Never threw a code, so I left it that way. You can also remove a ton of stuff from the throat of the upper. It bottle necks where the center bolts that connect the upper and lower are located. You'll need a long shafted cutter, like the set of three Summit sells, to reach that area.

There are conflicting stories on the GT40P heads. Some say you need to dimple the header, some say you don't. In a Mustang, I'd only go with the GT40P specific headers. On the Cobra, the stock or stock aftermarket may work with a good set of high temp wires.

As for HP, that's a total guess. I'd say you'll be happy with it for about 9 months. Then you'll read about 90HP gains from a used Vortec you can buy for $1,600. and bolt on in a weekend. Then you'll want more, so forget how much HP it has, and concentrate on how it feels! Will it be fast? Does an elephant have big ears?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,997 Posts
I have GT-40P heads and am using MAC headers made for the P heads. The MACs are a bit cheaper than the Fords and come with some sort of high temp silver coating. I've read posts on various forums where people have complained about the quality of the MACs and state that you get what you pay for but I'm happy with mine. I've had my headers on for a year and have put over 6,000 miles on the car. The coating is still intact and I have no exhaust leaks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.