Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What bolts attach the Headers to the Catalytic Converter? Is there a gasket required between these two? Any Part #'s if there is? How much of a gap should there be between the flanges? There seems to be over an inch gap (maybe two) on mine. It seems excessive.

What bolts attach the Cats to the Side Pipes? I saw that the Napa # for the gasket is 31369. Is this the best choice?

-Perry

·
The Traveler
3,101 Posts
No gasket from the side pipe to the headers and depending on the headers you might have that much of a gap. Also some of the gap can come from bent flanges on the cats! Make sure they are nice and round.

Gasket between cats and side pipe is a 3 bolt header gasket. Some of the guy's are using high heat silicon and it seems to work well. I bought a copper header gasket and it's held up now for 60,000 miles. As for the bolts the ones I have are allen head bolts. Allows for inserting them in tight quarters!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
The end of the headers should have studs sticking out that the holes in the cat flange fit over and then nuts go on the studs.

·
Senior Charter Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes they should but they did not survive the donor strip. Rust and a Sawzall made sure of that.

Any help on the sizes needed? Are they 3/8-16? Should I use grade 8 bolts and some never sieze? Stainless steel socket head cap screws and eliptical thread nuts? Or can I walk into Napa and say give me some exhaust studs?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.