Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Are the header gaskets that come with the kit regular header gaskets?

I recently swapped the old 302 for the new Ford Racing 302, along with a new set of Felpro header gaskets. However, I just remembered that the headers came with gaskets in the kit, so am just wondering if they were regular or special fit for to the headers.

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,824 Posts
You are better off just using hi temp RTV instead of gaskets.

·
Sno B Gone!
3,183 Posts
You are better off just using hi temp RTV instead of gaskets.
What Gordon said. We tried gaskets and they blew out after about 1000 miles. The hi temp RTV has about 2000 and not even a peep. Plus it's easy to do...and cheap.

·
Junior Charter Member
725 Posts
That is a great thing to know as the header gasket have always een a continual source of aggrevation.
Roy

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Haven't tried only hi temp RTV. Interesting. When I put my 306 together, many recommended Remflex gaskets. 1800 miles later no issues.

·
Premium Member
18,256 Posts
The headers from FFR Ok (not great). The big problem is the size of the flange port. The biggest gasket I could find is the Fel-Pro 1487. This is how it fits on the header flange. Notice how little it covers at the bottom of the flange. That's why they don't last.

I havn't used a gasket in years. Fit's perfect. Last for years of hard use. And pretty cheap, too.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Remflex gaskets on mine-- still fine after 4900 miles. Jim

·
Senior Charter Member
464 Posts
Gordon and Bob,This is a little off subject, but in order to get my headers to line up with the exit holes in the coupe "sponsons" (hydroplane terminology), we had to shim under one of the motor mounts, so the engine isn't exactly level. I'd like it to be level, because I'm building a working turkey pan (fed by a rectangular opening in the aft end of the hood, ala the originals) for my TWM individual runner EFI system and don't like the look of a turkey pan with different side wall heights. If I were to level the engine and keep the headers in their current exit positions, do you think the high-temp RTV could handle being perhaps .030" thicker at the bottom of the flange than at the top, or do the heads and the headers have to be snugged up pretty tight and flat against each other?

·
Premium Member
18,256 Posts
If I were to level the engine and keep the headers in their current exit positions, do you think the high-temp RTV could handle being perhaps .030" thicker at the bottom of the flange than at the top, or do the heads and the headers have to be snugged up pretty tight and flat against each other?
Absolutely not. There's no way silicone will fill a gap like that for very long.

Either figure out a way to bend the headers, or wedge them at the header/side pipe flange.

·
Junior Charter Member
149 Posts
Header sealing

I have RHS heads and the header ports were way taller than the exhaust ports on the heads. The exhaust gaskets had no chance of sealing on the bottom. I had the bottom of the header ports heli-arced on the inside and then I smoothed the port and surfaced the sealing surface. Used Fel-Pro gaskets and so far so good.

Ron

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I didn't know that you could use RTV for headers. I thought the high pressure and temperature would just blow it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.