Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a painfully simple question but google has failed me. I am replacing a blown header gasket (screws fell out - my bad). I have the fel-pro 1415. One side has blue stripes, the other doesn’t. Any thoughts on the correct direction to install? Fel-Pro said the smooth side should be against the header... but they’re both smooth...

·
Registered
38 Posts
On the Metal composite gaskets, the saying is "When in Doubt, Metal side out" These gaskets you have are exactly the same on each side except the Printing and the edges which is a result of stamping them out. Usually, I put the rounded edge out, that would be the blue stripes out. I usually use the Mr. Gasket header gaskets, and they have no writing and not notched on the end bolt holes, but I take a scissor to them for easier installation, like these already are, hang the header by the two outer bolts, then slide the gasket in from the top.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the Metal composite gaskets, the saying is "When in Doubt, Metal side out" These gaskets you have are exactly the same on each side except the Printing and the edges which is a result of stamping them out. Usually, I put the rounded edge out, that would be the blue stripes out. I usually use the Mr. Gasket header gaskets, and they have no writing and not notched on the end bolt holes, but I take a scissor to them for easier installation, like these already are, hang the header by the two outer bolts, then slide the gasket in from the top.
Thanks, very helpful.

·
Registered
945 Posts
After I placed the gaskets up against the headers and heads, I skipped the gaskets and used Ultra Copper sealant. The gaskets were causing a huge restriction and only providing about 1/16 inch of sealing area in a lot of places.

HTH

Norm

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After I placed the gaskets up against the headers and heads, I skipped the gaskets and used Ultra Copper sealant. The gaskets were causing a huge restriction and only providing about 1/16 inch of sealing area in a lot of places.

HTH

Norm
Thanks. I already put the gasket in and torqued so will go with that for now unless the leak isn’t resolved. I did just get a tube of ultra copper for the pipe to header flange. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts