Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two sets of header gaskets, one that came with the headers (Ford ceramic plated unequal length) and a Felpro set. The Felpro set has metal on one side. Does the metal side face the engine or the header? The other set doesn't have any metal at all, but are a little thicker with slightly rounded edges on one side. Does it matter whether the rounded edge side faces the engine or the header? Is one set better than the other? Thanks. Skip

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
i have never had much luck with those paper/foil gaskets and headers, my advise is to bite the bullet and buy some copper header gaskets and locking header bolts, the coppers crush nicely, seal great and dont blow out, i used stage 8 bolts on my last build and breslins locking bolts on this one, i like the breslins much better cause once you tighten the bolts you just tighten the allen bolt in the center and your done, no fiddling around with the clips and trying to make the washers fit just right, once the center allen is locked its not backing out even a little bit

i would also recommend re tightening all the bolts after heat cycling the motor no matter which ones you use, i bought mine from summit, jegs has the breslins also,

i wish they had (or knew of) these 20 years ago when i had a 460/c6/9inch with nitrous in a 68 mustang fastback ,seems like i was changing header gaskets more often than changing oil

good luck.......Vinny

·
3,886 Posts
I also vote for copper. They ain't cheap, but you won't have to replace them.
I'm using stock bolts, no problems with loosening in 12,000 miles, maybe because I have iron heads. I did retighten after heat cycling. I'll go with locking bolts if/when I upgrade to aluminum heads.

Forrest

·
1,056 Posts
Copper. It can be a real pain to replace a header gasket later. I know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts