Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Received MK3 2/3/07
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the wider driver side foot box by FFMetal. Between the aluminum and the header is like 1/16". Is that to close? Should I move the aluminum in more? I don't want it to get to hot I will be putting a insulator inside of the foot box. Any suggestions.

Thanks Lynn

·
Received MK3 2/3/07
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are the Hooker headers from FFR

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
I had the same issue and did a poll/thread on it, probably about a year ago. Bottomline is Ford Racing headers hugged the engine closer than any other brand. I now have a pair and now even with insulation have a bit of room between them and the foot boxes

·
2,745 Posts
Lynn,

My opinion is that your headers are too close for comfort. I think you should make a relief in the footbox to give the header pipe some room. Even if it were not too close because of heat, it would be too close because of rattles. When the engine moves on the mounts it's going to knock on the footbox wall and make an unbelievable amount of noise.

My .02.

Chris.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was in the same situation with mine - using MAC unequal length shorty headers. I was able to find a happy medium between foot space and aluminum-to-header space by moving the bottom rivets in (towards the pedals) a bit. My panel there is slightly bowed now, but I have almost 1" of clearance, and I can still get my foot easily between the brake pedal and the wall to reach the go pedal. I hope to have my first start later this month, so we will see how the plan works out.

·
1,744 Posts
Stang,

I don't know if you realize it or not but you've got the adjuster for the clutch cable in wrong. The nut gets threaded to the adjuster and then the whole assembly gets inserted from the front. The "U" shaped tab is used to hold it in place by drilling a hole into the mounting plate and putting a screw in it. The threaded sleeve is then moved in or out to take up the slack in the cable.

·
Received MK3 2/3/07
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Rich 215 I will change that.
I have looked at other treads and pics the 4 into 4 header don't seem as close. Thanks for all the replies

Thanks Lynn

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
I had the exact same problem and simply heated up the invading pipe and bent it outward.

·
Junior Charter Member
898 Posts
Lynn,

I have the FFMetal driver's side footbox and ran into the same problem. I modified the footbox and ended up killing two birds with one stone.

I moved the top half of the footbox sidewall a couple of inches into the footbox area to clear the driver's side header. While I was at it, I also moved the bottom half of the same sidewall an inch or two into the engine bay, which gave me a little more room to the right of the gas pedal.

JT

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
22,940 Posts
Lynn,
OK I see what you mean now. When we spoke last night I thought you were referring to the clearance on the front side of the footbox not the engine side.

I built mine out too but kept the extension below the pipes.

You are way too close to the footbox. In addition to the obvious heating, the pipe will rub when the engine torques under load. It will torque away but might rebound back and smack to footbox.

BTW, here's a shot of how the sidepipes will line up:

Greg

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have the same set-up ie. FFmetal footbox and FFR header and I have about 3/4" clearance. I am planning on putting Dynamat on both side of the footbox in that area. Even with the Dynamat on my installation I will have just over 1/2". I would suggest you pull a few rivets and get yourself another 1/2" and call it good.

·
Premium Member
9,693 Posts
I have the FF Metal foot boxes, and 4 into 4 headers. The clearance on mine is about a tight as Lynn's. What I did was install two layers on Thermo Tech heat barrier on the engine side, and a single layer of RAM Audio mat on the cockpit side. I feel NO heat from the headers through the foot box wall. I'm also using Energy Suspension poly motor mounts, and have no engine movement issues. The mounts hold the engine and keep it from moving around under torque. John

·
Received MK3 2/3/07
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replys. I will try to pull the inner footbox in as much as I can.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts