Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went over to the corral mustang site to look at some 393 windsor builds. I had no idea so many mustangs were running around with 351s! Seems everyone with a stroker 351 is running the AFR205 or TFS R heads. If i read correctly, these heads have raised exhaust ports and need custom headers. My thinking is that these will not work with our side pipes. Right or wrong?

And if the 205s/Rs are out of the question, how would the AFR185s work on a 393 stroker? Too small?

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
My guess is - and again this is a guess - the 4x4 headers would work fine but you probably need to enlarge the cutouts on the side of the body for a little more clearance.

With the J-pipe setup, you could probably make it work with out much trouble at all.

I believe David Borden has Victor Jr's on his car, which feature raised ex ports. I'm pretty sure he's running 4x4 headers from FFR back in from the time when FFR made them. Hopefully he'll see this post and let us know.

·
3,998 Posts
Bri

I'm running AFR 205's on my 392 stroker. Standard 351 headers and sidepipes work fine without opening up the side ports on the body.

Henry

·
Junior Charter Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Henry- That's good news! I didn't want to choke the motor with too small of heads. Can you give me some details on your motor? cam? comp ratio? Dyno numbers? 1/4 times? Did you use fox mustang 351 swap headers? Thanks!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
522 Posts
That is why my side-pipes sit higher than others!!!! The height looks more like the superformance.

I did have to enlarge the cut-outs, looks good. I don't have any pipes catching the ground or some part of a lift or trailer.

Go Fast

·
16,719 Posts
FattiBri, I can tell you first hand that I have seen, heard and felt the power of Henrys car.
Just one word. AWESOME!
You will be very pleased with it if you do it!

Ask Henry about the look he got from a little old lady that was walking her dog, during the Rally at the Open House this past summer.....

I still laugh about that....

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
3,998 Posts
Brian,

I am using a Ford Crate Stroked 392 Motor and I swapped out the heads while it was still on the stand. Be advised you will need rockers too. The 205's only take pedestal mount rockers. I used Comp Cams Pro-Magnum 1.6's. You also need hardened push rods. I used comp cams 7.5 inch. Have not brought it to the dyno (yet) and also have not gone through the 1/4 mile. Can tell you it is scary fast. I am running a BIGS Holley 750 cfm carb that was race prepped and using FFR's 4 into 4 system for a 351.

Go fast - that may also be attributed to the motor mounts your using. I did not have to enlargen mine.

CC - that was a great face on the old lady walking the dog. I'm still kicking myself in the butt for not gassing it when we went by her. See how far that little dog would jump?

Henry

[ December 30, 2003, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: 65 Cobra Dude ]

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
how would the AFR185s work on a 393 stroker?
Maybe about a year or so ago Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine dynoed a FMS crate 392 ( that ford rates at 430 HP) and got about 450Hp out of it(BTW the FMS 392 comes with GT40 X heads).With nothing else except for a head change to a set of AFR 185 heads they made another pull and got 525 HP.The article made no other head comparisions.

·
Junior Charter Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info everyone!

And how did you guys know that my only goal in building this thing was to make women and children cry when i drive past?!?!

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Originally posted by 65 Cobra Dude:
[QB] Be advised you will need rockers too. The 205's only take pedestal mount rockers. I used Comp Cams Pro-Magnum 1.6's. You also need hardened push rods.
Henry, don't you mean Stud mount? I was pretty sure the only AFR heads avail in pedestal were the 165's. I would think the pedestal mount is a little weak for a high revving 205 head. Also, can't see why you would need hardened pushrods for pedestal mount setup.

Just checkin

Steve

·
3,998 Posts
Steve,

Yep, you're right. I often get them mixed up (all the time). My apologies if I steered anyone wrong. Either way, they are killer heads and I will have dyno numbers this Spring. I added these heads this past Fall when I blew up my first motor at an Autocross School and replaced with a brannie new 392.

Thanks,

Henry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts