Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I called Fortes and ordered some gaskets. I don't remember if I told him I was using GT-40P heads and the Explorer upper/lower intake when I placed the order. He sent me head gaskets marked FelPro 1011-2.

The intake gaskets are marked 1250 and also R3.

Will these gaskets work properly with P heads and an Explorer intake?

If I can use these, should I still put some RTV around the water jackets? Confirming the RTV should go on both sides of the intake gaskets, correct? And the head gaskets get installed DRY?

Yes, I have Mike's cell number, but I don't want to call him since it's the holidays..

Thanks..

[ December 24, 2006, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: ArlingtonCobra ]

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
Can't help you with many of your questions. But I will say this about RTV. Use a very light smear around the water ports between the intake manifold and the head. Both sides of the gasket. Don't use it anywhere else.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
You might want to check this thread on the Capital Area Cobra Club site about gaskets.
http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/index.php/topic,5095.0.html

If you use silicone on the intake at the water ports, give it a few days to set up before filling or pressurizing. There have been failures for unknown reasons, but mine is working OK. It sat for a long time before filling.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bill and Mike. Good info as always.

Come on you Explorer intake guys! What Intake Gasket did you use? After playing around on the Jeggs and Summit web sites it's starting to look to me like the Head Gaskets will work and the intake gaskets won't.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
No special instructions just install . The Fel pro 1250 has 351 sized intake ports. Note the markings on the head gaskets they are marked front or top. I cant remember which. Toss the cork end seals and use silicone. Bob

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,739 Posts
We converted an Explorer to carb and used Fel Pro Gaskets. Our head gasket number was 8548PT-2. I have the actual tag and confirm that is the number for just the head gasket. I do have the instructions there is a front and back to the gaskets and there is an ear to cut off.

I do not have the intake gasket number available.

We did use gasket seal around the water jacket with no problems in over 5000 miles. We followed the instructions in Monroes book exactly.

I would suggest that you also go to Fel Pro's website and do some checking.

Good luck.

Rick

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Flyer:

I would suggest that you also go to Fel Pro's website and do some checking.

Good luck.

Rick
I would love to.. Happen to know the web site address? I've previously searched and have been unable to find a FelPro site..

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts

·
6,559 Posts
AC,

I got to the site but it sucks.

The head gaskets go on dry. Follow the advice for the intakes as boB described.

You really need to do your homework on the head install. What bolts to use, what torque, what sealer/lube, retorque, etc. I can't remember the torque spec on the 302 but I think the bottom head bolts are 5 or 10ft/lbs more than the tops. Put Teflon sealer on all the head bolt threads and your favorite motor oil on the washer and head of the bolts. Only the bottom bolts need sealing as they hit water jackets but the sealer is also a great lube so use it on all to get a consistent torque. Again, use the proper sequence. The intake is pretty straight forward. Torque to spec using the correct sequence. Let it sit overnight, loosen each bolt a half a turn and retorque to spec again. Cycle the engine and retorque the heads.

READ, READ, READ.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Todd.. I've read plenty on head installation, plus I have the book How to Rebuild the SB Ford, so hopefully I'm set..

Bob, really, I'm NOT road kill on the information highway, but I don't see any helpful information on that Federal Mogul web site either..

Thanks to all for the information everyone has posted. Along with what I have already read, the only remaining question that I have is whether or not the 1250-R3 Intake Gasket is the correct gasket for my 302 Ford with an Explorer Intake.

[ December 24, 2006, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: ArlingtonCobra ]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts