Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible for a head gasket to get worn and leak on a donor engine that has not had the heads taken off? I noticed it when I was checking under the car tonite (I'm getting a strange "plink" noise from the pass when the front is unweighted like on the crests of hills. Sounds like gravel hitting the splash guard but it's happened too many times to be gravel. Nothing looks loose or broke).

I noticed a little wetness in the gasket seam by cylinder 4 (or is it 8? Pass side, last cylinder in the back). As I said, heads have never been removed. Haven't touched the bolts. Seems surprising that it could develop a leak. Or isn't it? Engine is an '87 302 with 115K. Treated right it's whole life.

·
Premium Member
18,143 Posts
Yes, it's possible. But more likely the water is coming from somewhere else and traveling along the gasket edge. Check the intake manifold and thermostat housing first.

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
If you have the stock heater hard lines, that's exactly where the drip will run to if one of the heater hoses leaks. Run you finger under the hose connections at the back to see if it's leaking there.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out and see what I can find. It makes more sense that maybe one of my hose clamps isn't quite tight enough. I've also noticed that my coolant level seems to very slowly drop but I don't have any leaks or puddles that I can see. Maybe it's a slow leak in the back that's getting evaporated.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Does it blow smoke out the pipes? Ask me how I know. No, really, ask me :rolleyes:

If it's blowing smoke, then I would suspect the headgasket.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
Heads "pop" all the time .What I see at the shop is failure to change coolant it makes the gaskets rot out. Also from an engineering standpoint . Yaint gots enough bolts per cylinder to hold the head down right proper and then yallz want to pull them up by overtightening the intake. Thats my best (although poor)imitation at Larry the cable guy auto engineer. Bob (larry's brother??)

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Could be the head gasket as they do go bad. You would most likely notice other symptoms if it was a head gasket such as over heating,hard hot cranking,white smoke from the exsaust,missing cylinder,ect. More then likly it is intake manifod. Get a radiator pressure checker and pressureinze the cooling system watching every where for a leak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts