Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Charter Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the coupe forum, thought I might get more response here.

I'm at the point of buying new heads. I had my block machined, and now have a 331 stroker. I also have a Victor Jr intake, with a Holley 600cfm carb. The cam is a CompCams Xtreme Energy cam, with .555/.565 lift.

I was considering the AFR185's but with the recent posts questioning their quality, I'm rethinking the Edelbroch Victor Jr heads, to match the intake, I already have.

Any thoughts?

·
566 Posts
According to a Modified Fords and Mustang book of modifications, The AFR heads appear to have the highest CFM flow of any heads right out of the box.
I can't speak for the quality as I have yet to install and use them. Good thread you have started. I will be curious of the following posts.

Henry

·
Senior Charter Member
610 Posts
the AFRs come with really crappy springs but I don't know of other quality issues. Can you explain? AFR does offer a spring upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
29,535 Posts
I'm using Edelbrock Victor Jr heads recommended by Gordon Levy

·
Super Moderator
29,535 Posts
If you want really killer heads, get a set of canted valve heads from CHI. They're in Australia. They're equivalent to Cleveland heads.

Jon Kaase used them to win the engine masters challenge

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
I believe there is a misconception about AFR heads. Currently AFR heads DO NEED the factory spring up grade for the roller cams used in most small block fords. The misconception is that AFR heads have junky components, when really they just aren't set up for roller cams as a base package.
With that said, AFR is soon to be introducing a new base hardware package using LS1 style hardware that will handle most of the roller cams used in SBF engines. The rumor is that there will be NO price increase for these new components. Currently it costs about $250 additional for the upgrades to the base AFR heads to ready them for an aggressive roller cam. Its not just valve springs though, the $250 also gets you lighter valves, and better locks and retainers as well. -Dan

·
Banned
551 Posts
I have AFR 185's and love them.

347 + Vortech, pump gas 564 rwhp

Plenty of runs at the dragstrip with this motor while in the Mustang, still great.

Tom

·
Junior Charter Member
2,688 Posts
I have the 185's with valve/spring upgrade and think they are great on my Dart block 331 twin-turbo motor. They were also the ones recommended by my engine builder who is the #1 seller of Dart sportsman blocks in the world.
Thomas

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
AFR's or EDL. heads both would be a good choice. With those cam specs you probally would'nt need to change out the springs that come with the eld. heads. I would consider maybe a little more carb if going with Afr 185's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The trick flow "cnc"twisted wedge head is a great head for the money, and the pro topline cyclone head is nice but it is untouched. Both measure around 185cc. I think a carb change would be needed as well.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
When it comes to head more is better , Vic jr or dart sr heads with a bigger carb for max performance 700-780cfm for street 650-700cfm. You will need a 200cc intake runner to make big power ..The cam you use should have duration of over 230degrees at .050 .The bigger engine makes the cam think it's smaller. The 331 has proven to be a real screamer. As is true with all carbed Fords the like a lot of head and cam (usually too much cam is just right for carbed apps)consult the experts Gordon Levy or Mike Forte you will have to rev it up to make power the vic jr is 3000 until the engine blows rpm wise you will need a lot of air .Call those guys I'm going by my experiences which are far less than theirs. Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts